The History of The Super FX Chip

Started by TrekMD, August 11, 2017, 22:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

In 1993 The Super FX Chip brought true 3D polygon based games to the Super Nintendo. A feat that many, including Nintendo executives, didn't think was possible. This is a preview for the Story Of The Super FX Chip. The strange tale of how a teenager, an off the cuff suggestion, and a cash strapped company brought the Super Nintendo into the third dimension.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

Great video. Pretty cool story behind it :)

TrekMD

Yes, it is!  Almost unbelievable! 

ArcadeAction

Thanks for sharing! Stunt Race FX has always been one of my favorite SuperNES titles. StarFox is a great title as well. Yoshi's Island is quite impressive too. Dirt Trax FX also isn't too bad. I'd like to play the other titles.

zapiy

Great video and such a great idea, when these FX games came out I was blown away..

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

So, they did exactly what they were set out to do.  :)

AmigaJay

Quote from: zapiy on August 23, 2017, 20:37:48 PM
Great video and such a great idea, when these FX games came out I was blown away..
Really? I was impressed they got that power on a small chip, but 93 we had Jaguar and 3DO, then by the time SFX2 games came out in late 95 we had PSX and Saturn for over a year, impressive polygon count for a small chip, but certainly wasn't blown away by any of the games by the time of release.
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018