Author Topic: New Kickstarter: Games for Atari: 1977 to 1995 by Marc Oberhäuser.  (Read 383 times)

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Kickstarter Projects
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2017, 13:21:38 PM »
Wallop, look forward to seeing this develop.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline Marc Oberhäuser

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2017, 14:57:23 PM »
2 new versions

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2017, 16:34:04 PM »
Looking Wonderful Marc, a dramatic difference from the original design you showcased, I did something similar for a book idea I created many moons ago with a defunct client that did not have the ambition nor the skill to execute the concept even market this to potential publisher at the time, some 4 years ago now, and when I saw this image I had to add here to show you what can be achieved with this type of effect, I also done a cover design for Fusion Books Story of the c64 in pixels which didn't make the grade based on the Steve Day C64 manual concept winning center stage lol, but I get the message across here in what can be done without drastically changing the formula.

I can tell you what is not working here with your covers..is the White Stroke against the black, this will only work if there is nothing behind the text or in some shape or form a pseudo 3D effect to lift it away from the cover , flat text is never truly merged with multiple things going on in the background.

Offline Marc Oberhäuser

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2017, 21:57:00 PM »
The C64 cover is really very nice, unfortunately not easy to adopt if you have 5 systems to cover.

About the shadow behind the white stroke: There's a shadow layer. Is it too small or doesn't simply not work in this composition? And do you think the designs are too busy?

I made a mock-up. I'm not an artist at all, just a game designer who knows some Photoshop buttons ;) I'll do another design tomorrow.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2017, 02:50:16 AM »
Wow, that is a dramatic difference! I like the second one with the colored backgrounds for the consoles rather than the one with the white. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New Kickstarter: Games for Atari: 1977 to 1995 by Marc Oberhäuser.
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2017, 08:47:34 AM »
Wow fella, that is a huge improvement.

Have you shown these elsewhere?
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline Marc Oberhäuser

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2017, 12:56:58 PM »
I just posted an update:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/993169463/games-for-atari-1977-to-1995/posts/1955817

Many thanks for all your feedback!
Marc.

Wow fella, that is a huge improvement.

Have you shown these elsewhere?

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2017, 13:59:36 PM »
I've also noticed the rather high price for the a physical copy of the book ate current GBP is £44 and if we compare it with other similar books they have been around the £25/£30 about €28/€33, that could be another stumbling block..

I personally can not justify that but I love the book so going for the digital one but food for thought pal.

Offline JoeMusashi

• Reviewer
  • Be happy, drink beer!
    • View Profile
    • Zeed Hideout
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2017, 15:04:53 PM »
£44, really? I hadn't even looked at prices but that's just crazy.
I've got a negative view of pricing in the 'retro' scene generally and think £30 is taking the piss for a book, but £44 is taking that to the next level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2017, 15:00:20 PM »
I can understand the cost to make a book is high but I simply can not justify that cost so went for the digital version.

Offline AmigaJay

• View Profile
    • Jay's Retro Game Blog
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2017, 09:56:06 AM »
£44 is high sure, but IT IS 704 pages! He could have gone down the multiple book route but at the end it would have ended up costing the buyer more, personally i think £44 is decent for a 704 page book, for the amount of content all in one place, if you half that 352 pages for £22 is good, cheaper than some other options and the amount of work put in here i can tell is alot more than some 'picture' books.

The only trouble is convincing enough people, it will only attract hardcore Atari fans at that price, but hopefully they will get behind it, if not you could always sell the PDF version alone, i would jump at it myself but only ever owned a Lynx out of those, so the nostalgia isn't there for me, but would gladly buy a PDF version down the road (just been made redundant so not the best time to for me)
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2017

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2017, 11:41:44 AM »
Actually that's a very good point.. 704 pages is a lot and for some reason I glossed over that bit when i read about the book lol..

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2017, 12:13:54 PM »
This is not a small book and it has a lot of color images, which does add to the cost.  That's why I didn't think the price was too high. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline Marc Oberhäuser

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2017, 11:35:06 AM »
This is not a small book and it has a lot of color images, which does add to the cost.  That's why I didn't think the price was too high.

I would have to do a production run for 1,000 books. That plus the high qualtity printing is just expensive. As for shipping: The book weights more that 2 kilos. That's EURO 6.80/kilo. A special "bonus" is the crappy exchange rate... :/

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2017, 20:01:33 PM »
Makes sense. I just think impulse purchases are going to be hit selling a book at that price pal. O

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk