The Dangers of Flash and Multi Carts

Started by Shadowrunner, July 06, 2017, 20:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowrunner

Great article here about flash and multi carts that are poorly made and that could cause problems.

The guy who wrote the article makes a lot of retro devices and adapters that Retro Towers in the UK and Stone Age Gamer in the US sell so he's pretty knowledgeable about all of it.

Anybody own any of the ones he says to avoid?

ArcadeAction

Interesting link. The Everdrive N8 and SDSNES seemed to play especially nice at a gaming expo I went to last year.

TrekMD

I've been hearing about this lately.  I have a MegaEverdrive but I don't know the model.  I got it in 2014 so looks like it is one of those to avoid.  I may have to order the M5.  I'm glad to see the N8 is fine as I have one of those too!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

tomwaits

Krikzz posted a comment downplaying the issue... no one has ever reported a failed everdrive or console from the voltage difference. But, he also implied that the issue would be addressed in future revisions.

Instead of being baited into a mad rush to replace your everdrives, I think it's probably safe to wait for future everdrive versions that add new features along with adjusting the voltage levels.

Vadergb

Good job I haven't got an Everdrive MD, Turbo Everdrive 1.2, 161-1 MVS cart, Super Everdrive and a NES 40-1 - Ohh wait I have.

I do have lots of original carts so I don't exclusively use the Everdrive's.

Also what's the cost to replace a Megadrive/Genesis console, or Snes or NES via the money saved on expensive or unobtainable games? Ive got at least 4 MD's, a couple of NES's, 3 Snes's and even two MVS motherboards.

Interesting read but some consoles biggest issues are with old unstable power supplies, caps that need replacing, damaged edge connectors, faulty carts and previous modifications.

zapiy

I think Krizz replied with great composure.. many others would have caused a war I am sure.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC