Atari Box

Started by TrekMD, June 09, 2017, 04:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greyfox

I think you have a valid point there fella, but it begs the question, what would all of us want to see here?, a official machine carrying a cross all the Atari platforms with the posiblity of an App Store to which you could purchase these games yet again, with a posiblle addition of classic Atari coin-op games, like Marble Madness , pit fighter, paper boy that type of thing?

Also I'm tire of seeing the Atari 2600 taking preference on these concepts, what about the 7800, 5200 , jaguar, Lynx and A8 systems getting a look in now? Thinking outside the box..especially the AtariBox has to be more than just another updated Atari flashback number, I've being thinking here what possibilities could they captivate here?

TrekMD

Well, this may not be retro at all from what I've been reading.  Seems like this will be a modern system; however, it would be cool if it had the ability to play games for the various Atari systems.  I think that would bring appeal to the system for retro gamer and modern gamers alike. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Cryptic33

I hope you are both right. I am intrigued by this new box but very much on side with Greyfox regarding past titles. Just waiting to be blown away, though I doubt it. The Jaguar is a prime example of hype from Atari. Good console, bags of potential, under supported.
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

zapiy

Cracking ideas GF, if they follow those lines I will be all over this at the right price.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Well, we now have our first looks at the Atari Box!  You can read about it here:   First look at the Ataribox design.

Just in case, here is one of the pictures.  Looks like they are trying to emulate the Atari 2600...

Shadowrunner

I like the look of it, now we just need to know what it does!

TrekMD

There's a black on black with red logo and lights also.  They both look cool.  Really curious about more details!

zapiy

Does look pretty damn awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

JoeMusashi

What's the speculation about what this thing will do then?

TrekMD

They are saying that it will play classic games and modern games but things are not very clear right now. 

JoeMusashi

Yeah it's the modern aspect that's interesting. I guess the retro stuff is a straight forward question of what systems are emulated. Is this some sort of Android based stuff or more bespoke, I wonder. I reckon it will be fed from the web at least.

Dreamcast Gamer

I wonder if Atari will develop any new games based on their classic franchises for it.  That's what I'm hoping for.

TrekMD

I guess we'll have to wait to find out. 

JoeMusashi

Don't wait.......SPECULATE!!
Is it a Netflix style system? Will it be like the OUYA and fail just as spectacularly? Do Atari even know what it is, or what it wants to create? Is that why they're 'holding back' information in the hope that we'll speculate and they can gauge what we want as consumers? 4K Pacman!

TrekMD

LOL  It'll be a uberpowered Atari 26,000 capable of 3D virtual reality gaming, 4K resolution, CD/DVD/BD playback, with online capablities that include multimedia (video, music, and streaming services).  How's that for speculation?  :)