The ugly face of ColecoVision

Started by TrekMD, May 21, 2017, 22:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

I saw this over at AA and I wanted to share it.  Looks like Coleco is on a rampage attacking fan site and homebrew developers.  As a result, Opcode Games has had to make some changes.  Here is what Opcode posted:

I come here today, after 15 years of (I hope) good services for the ColecoVision community, to make a difficult announcement. Due to constant harassment from the current ColecoVision trademark holder, I have decide to no longer use the ColecoVision mark in any of my future games and hardware. All our stuff now will be identified as Super Game Module compatible only, since that is a mark I have the rights for. Our FB page has been taken down for the time being until I can make the necessary changes reflecting our new philosophy. Same for our website.

Now that I have taken that out of way, I would like to ask you to please stay tuned, and get ready for a shitload of bombastic revelations and surprises that will rival the best (or worst) that the Chameleon had to offer...
Make sure you have some stock of your favorite snack ready, as this is going to be a long ride folks...

Chapter 1: Oh, the drama!
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/265725-the-ugly-face-of-colecovision-behind-the-scenes-and-trademark/?p=3764787

Chapter 2: The classic ColecoVision logo trademark
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/265725-the-ugly-face-of-colecovision-behind-the-scenes-and-trademark/?p=3764853

There's also this thread:  Coleco strong-arming homebrew publishers and fan sites

This is a sad state of affairs.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

zapiy

That's disgraceful.

Why? Just why????

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Yes, it certainly is.  Who knows why?  Sometimes I think my brain is wired too different from the brains of people who do this crap because I cannot make sense of it.

zapiy

I cant see it being money related as surely the likes of Opcode Games can not be making a fortune, at best they may make a slight amount but we are talking in the hundreds of £ or $ here and so my question remains. Why? Perhaps they want full control of their Trademark and I can understand that I really can but come to some arrangement with these people, don't alienate them?????

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Vadergb

For the last thirty years fans, modders and home-brewers have been keeping these systems relevant. Just because someone purchases some loosely linked logos doesn't make them "Coleco", Atari or anyone else. The takedown notice via Facebook is just bullying by a brand troll. What's more important to the Colecovision name? Licensing a plastic emulator to a hw manufacturer or something truly amazing like the coleco super game module. The most successful platform holders embrace the market by keeping the creators close, which in turn develops that brand. 40% of something large is always better than 95% of something small.

TrekMD

The problem is compounded by their trying to say that characters created by CollectorVision are somehow theirs without even licensing the character.  Not a nice play. 

onthinice

I may be way off base but to me it always seems to be about money. Whether it is coins or paper, the amount does not matter. Just the control of who receives the money.

I will stick to the homebrew games and the Colecovision carts from my youth.

TrekMD

Yes, well, it does become about the money but alienating those who have been supporting the brand for so long with only hurt the brand, not help it.

Spector

I got the Pac-Man Collection cart for the Colecovision and it was brilliant from the packaging to the cart and game itself. Maybe my single best buy in retro, but I did wonder how he was able to do it, getting all those licences and everything. Finally it seems, it's all  coming to an end, in terms of presentation anyway.
DEATH TO SUGAR

TrekMD

Well, if that was a Super Game Module game it will simply by sold under the SGM Brand and not as a ColecoVision game as Opcode has that name protected. 

TrekMD

Albert has made a post on this that is spot on, as far as I'm concerned.  See here:  Coleco strong-arming homebrew publishers and fan sites.

Gorf

Quote from: TrekMD on May 21, 2017, 22:54:03 PM
I saw this over at AA and I wanted to share it.  Looks like Coleco is on a rampage attacking fan site and homebrew developers.  As a result, Opcode Games has had to make some changes.  Here is what Opcode posted:

I come here today, after 15 years of (I hope) good services for the ColecoVision community, to make a difficult announcement. Due to constant harassment from the current ColecoVision trademark holder, I have decide to no longer use the ColecoVision mark in any of my future games and hardware. All our stuff now will be identified as Super Game Module compatible only, since that is a mark I have the rights for. Our FB page has been taken down for the time being until I can make the necessary changes reflecting our new philosophy. Same for our website.

Now that I have taken that out of way, I would like to ask you to please stay tuned, and get ready for a shitload of bombastic revelations and surprises that will rival the best (or worst) that the Chameleon had to offer...
Make sure you have some stock of your favorite snack ready, as this is going to be a long ride folks...

Chapter 1: Oh, the drama!
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/265725-the-ugly-face-of-colecovision-behind-the-scenes-and-trademark/?p=3764787

Chapter 2: The classic ColecoVision logo trademark
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/265725-the-ugly-face-of-colecovision-behind-the-scenes-and-trademark/?p=3764853

There's also this thread:  Coleco strong-arming homebrew publishers and fan sites

This is a sad state of affairs.

The large majority of most anything on Atari Age is a shitstorm of drama. Then again... what can you expect from a site owner that holds the likes of Jagware and Reboot in high regard?