Let's Compare - BC's Quest for Tires

Started by TrekMD, April 13, 2017, 00:17:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

B.C.'s Quest for Tires is a 1983 video game designed by Rick Banks and Michael Bate and published by Sierra On-Line.[1] It was released for the Commodore 64, Atari 8-bit family, ColecoVision, ZX Spectrum, MSX, and Apple II. The game is based on the comic strip B.C. by Johnny Hart, with the title being a play on the title of the contemporaneous film Quest for Fire.

A sequel, Grog's Revenge, was released in 1984.

Story:

The player takes the role of the caveman Thor, who has to rescue his girlfriend, "Cute Chick", who has been kidnapped by a dinosaur. To do this, he must travel on his stone unicycle (actually an impossible wheel) through several levels. Each level has Thor moving from the left to the right, avoiding various dangers.

Gameplay:

B.C.'s Quest for Tires is an action game taking place on several consecutive levels. The levels start out simple, with Thor having to jump over potholes or duck under tree branches. Later levels become more complex, for example requiring Thor to jump on turtles in order to cross a lake, or to be carried over a lava pit by a "Dooky Bird". Other B.C. characters, such as the Fat Broad, also appear on some levels.

Source: Wikipedia

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

onthinice

Fun challenging game. Seems like a good translation for all the available systems.

My choice is the C64 version.

TrekMD

I have a version that is not on the video.  There's a version for the Intellivision that had a limited release. 

onthinice

Did not know about the Intellivision release. Knowing the controllers it seems like an even more challenging game. To me that is a very good thing.

TrekMD

Very few people knew about it.  It was kept a secret for some time!  :)

onthinice

Understand. Some developers are protective of their titles being reproduced. Better to keep it secretive then face the wrath of an irate copyright infringement.

TrekMD

Yup, but not a secret anymore.  That's why I can mention it.  :)