Author Topic: OUYA - New Android Games Console  (Read 37697 times)

Offline T2KFreeker

• View Profile
Re: OUYA - New Android Games Console
« Reply #525 on: June 27, 2015, 05:20:44 AM »
Quote from: "TrekMD"
Those are very good points, T2K.  It will be quite interesting to see where Razer takes this.  You're also right about the issues with management of OUYA by its team.

Yeah, don't get me started with that crap. The fact that it's an "Open System" that is more tight lipped about stuff than Nintendo is crap right off the bat. You can't be "Open" and "For the fans" and be secretive at the same time. Oh, and they spent money on a PR firm that they didn't even need. The buzz around the Ouya was more than enough. Not to mention, said PR firm never did anything past collecting and cashing the checks. Glad that Ouya management was paying attention to that black hole cash was just flushing down...
Step right up folks, perhaps you'd like a moment with the Fortune Teller?  Or the Mirror Maze where you can drown in your deepest regrets? I know, perhaps you'd rather a ride on our Merry Go Round backwards? It could help with those aches and lines from age that Ail you so?

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #526 on: June 27, 2015, 05:29:00 AM »
Has the price of the sale been released?  I wonder how much money these people made after all was said and done.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline T2KFreeker

• View Profile
« Reply #527 on: June 27, 2015, 05:37:24 AM »
Has the price of the sale been released?  I wonder how much money these people made after all was said and done.

Nope. At this point, it's all up in the air. We shall see what else happens down the road. Just craziness in the end. Not sure what else to say about it all. There are people in the community learning how to hack the system so you can patch the APK's and still play what you unlocked if the servers go down...for the games that have DRM anyway.
Step right up folks, perhaps you'd like a moment with the Fortune Teller?  Or the Mirror Maze where you can drown in your deepest regrets? I know, perhaps you'd rather a ride on our Merry Go Round backwards? It could help with those aches and lines from age that Ail you so?

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: July 27, 2015, 23:52:19 PM »
Well, things are no longer up in the air.  Razer has completed the purchase and with this comes the death of the OUYA hardware within the next year.  Apparently, the goal is to keep OUYA as an Android brand alive and well but as software only.  Here is an article talking about it:  Razer's purchase of Ouya is complete. Users have 12 months to decide what to do.  I guess it's time to root my OUYA so I can keep playing games on it. 

Online Saturn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://jaysmith2000.ipbhost.com/index.php?s=c827a7b611daaaf555722b332b1b9a2c&act=idx
« Reply #529 on: August 10, 2015, 17:45:20 PM »
I guess it's time to root my OUYA so I can keep playing games on it.
Ugh, I was just reading up on all this and wondering if that's the end of the OUYA console functioning (without mod) after the year of Razer's support.. I mean, if the servers used/needed for logging in to your account are not operating, will it become a paperweight? Maybe/hopefully I'm reading more into it than necessary but I like to be prepared for worse case scenario.
Will start reading up on rooting it. I have a 658GB external hd full of games that I'd hate to not be able to play just because I can no longer log into my account.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 10, 2015, 22:15:23 PM »
Apparently that is exactly what will happen.  The console will just stop working unless it has been rooted and you've sideloaded apps/games. 

Online Saturn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://jaysmith2000.ipbhost.com/index.php?s=c827a7b611daaaf555722b332b1b9a2c&act=idx
« Reply #531 on: August 11, 2015, 19:29:28 PM »
Apparently that is exactly what will happen.  The console will just stop working unless it has been rooted and you've sideloaded apps/games.
Yikes. For personal reference, here's the latest I could find on rooting. Seems kinda lengthy but there's little hope otherwise. Going to find all required apk files for emus if I can get the rooting done (and don't end up with a brick.)
I read that Razer will be offering bundles on their hardware soon. Guess it's time to start making the switch. Sigh

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: August 11, 2015, 22:16:42 PM »
I've never rooted any of my Android devices, so I hope I can get this one. If I find anyone who can do it, even if paying, I may do it.  I just want to be able to keep playing the games or use the emulators. 

Online Saturn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: August 11, 2015, 23:28:02 PM »
I went through a ton of trouble bringing mine back from a boot loop caused by the OUYA's inability to install one of the required upgrades. The guy I bought it from had reset it to factory and it was a nightmare. I didn't want to send it back to him in Pennsylvania and opted to figure it out myself. Once I managed to finally track down all the necessary files and a later rom to use in place of the offending upgrade, I was golden. Wrote a tutorial for myself in case it ever happened again. The info in the link I posted has so much similarity. Also, I have an XP computer set up and dedicated to my OUYA now, so a lot of the steps are done already. Will give this a go and post the results. If there's any interest, I can post the steps.
Sure don't want to stop using this bad boy :)

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: August 11, 2015, 23:42:02 PM »
That would be great as I'd like to be able to keep on using mine once there is no official support.

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: August 12, 2015, 16:13:20 PM »
Agreed and I want to buy one as they will go for pennies now.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline AmigaJay

• View Profile
    • Jay's Retro Game Blog
« Reply #536 on: August 12, 2015, 17:35:55 PM »
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2017

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: August 13, 2015, 20:14:48 PM »
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 08, 2017, 00:26:53 AM »
I just watched this video and thought I'd share it.  Looks like there is still some love for the OUYA out there.  :)