Author Topic: Degz - New Atari Jaguar Homebrew  (Read 2081 times)

Offline TL

• View Profile
Degz - New Atari Jaguar Homebrew
« on: June 30, 2012, 14:04:06 PM »

Basically its a Scramble clone as you can see!

Offline tomwaits

• View Profile
Re: Degz - New Atari Jaguar Homebrew
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 17:06:53 PM »
Looks like it's their best game so far, but all their games still seem like old public domain arcade knock-offs for the ST. Nothing Jaguar-ish or original about it at all.

I'll stick with the Konami Arcade Classics compilation... or the Vectrex version. :)  (Not that I'd ever try degz anyway because the developers are a bunch of asses.)

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 22:57:18 PM »
I'm not even remotely interested.  If I want to play Scramble, I can play on the Vectrex or the 7800.  :)  The Jaguar deserves better.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 16:56:01 PM »
Quote from: "tomwaits"
Looks like it's their best game so far, but all their games still seem like old public domain arcade knock-offs for the ST. Nothing Jaguar-ish or original about it at all.

I burned and played this yesterday so here are my thoughts:

I love Scramble but this just isn't that good at all I am afraid, Kobayashi Maru was much better showing that they have actually taken a step back. Mind you they still haven't fixed all the faults with KM that they promised (like not being able to pause).

Degz has some dodgy collision detection, music that doesn't fit the game, dumb sound effects and is not very authentic in the gameplay department either (most of the rockets don't even take off!). I think we will be waiting forever to somebody to make a new Jaguar game that makes the machine sweat even slightly.

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 19:58:11 PM »
I guess if this is a small proper in the bedroom homebrew then is pretty good, if its got a bigger budget then i agree its poor.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 20:22:11 PM »
Quote from: "zapiy"
I guess if this is a small proper in the bedroom homebrew then is pretty good, if its got a bigger budget then i agree its poor.

They have a big team of people, something like 4 coders, 2 sound guys a graphics artist and various jobbers.

They do admit they are not trying to push the Jag though as all their previous efforts also show.

The main problem here is that the game clearly was playtested and considering how many testers they have listed as part of their team its pretty bad that they keep releasing games that are unfinished. As I already said, I love Scramble and this game could have been really good but a few small things spoil it somewhat. The recent 7800 homebrew of Scramble is much better, which is quite ironic as these guys credit that version as being the base for this game.