Best Looking: Amiga Games?

Started by zapiy, September 18, 2016, 17:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

This is purely about how beautiful the game looks, regardless of technical prowess or how awesome the sounds and music is or indeed how poor the game plays..

I guess its a hard one to answer but I am going to go with Gods.. Its graphically stunning, smooth animation and just lush vibrant colours.. But its close..

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

AmigaJay

Tough one as there are plenty of games that push the Amiga to its limits, so I'll limit it to 10!

Shadow of the beast (OCS) - I'll get the obvious one out of the way, still stunning today with the amount of parallax layers and use of colour, no other version comes close to matching the original.

Elfmania (OCS) - disregarding the pretty naff gameplay the gfx in this game are stunning for 1985 hardware, shows the Amiga could have handled SF2 in the right hands, even as AGA this would still impress!

Super Stardust (AGA) - Beautiful ray tracing astroids on steroids, and the tunnel sequences stun too

Agony (OCS) - another game that blew people away 25 years ago, the animation was so fluid and the whole game looks and sounds amazing.

Lion heart (OCS) - Thalion finally allowed to shine after being restricted with the STs hardware on multi platform releases, the pixel art is stunning.

Defender of the crown (OCS) - way back when, Cinemaware games were the games to show off to your ST or PC owning mates, Jim Sachs one of my fav pixel artists.

Another World (OCS) - normally the games intro has the best animation, but the whole game is stunning to watch.

Ruff n Tumble (OCS) - coming late in the Amiga's life and criminally missed by a lot of owners at the time, most people thought it was AGA, very pleasing on the eye.

Kid Chaos (OCS) - one that not be on everyone's list, this pushes the A500 beyond what people thought possible and shows a Sonic game with speed was possible!

Flink (AGA) - another one of my fav pixel artists, amazing 2d backdrops that again got overlook being released in 1995 just before the Ps1 hit.
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

zapiy

Some great shouts there fella. I would say Flashback looks nicer than Another World, would you not agree?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

AmigaJay

Quote from: zapiy on September 18, 2016, 21:06:39 PM
Some great shouts there fella. I would say Flashback looks nicer than Another World, would you not agree?

Not artistically, Flashback is nice and has some nice cut scenes but it didn't have the wow factor AW did when it came out.
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

zapiy

Your reply made me check the games out again and for me the colourful Flashback is nicer looking than Another World. Again that's why I like these discussions, we all have different likes or we would all have the same looking wives and girlfriends lol.

Greyfox

Another world in fairness is all vector based well the majority of it, wheels Flashback had the entire game painted in pixels other than the cut scenes and characters been vector based making them really different compared to one another in a lot of ways, it's sequel or third game in the series was completely polygon affair (Fade to Black) so I guess it boils down to what you liked, but in saying that Another was fantastic in presentation with real gaming narrative and story, but being able to be completed in 14 min or less on a speed run, show how clever the game is.

Deckard

Beneath a Steel Sky maybe, space ace?

Vadergb

I thought the Cinemaware titles looked when amazing coming from 8-bit computers. They even looked decent long into the systems lifetime too.

Greyfox

Yeah cinemaware were known for producing Hollywood cinematic style games , showing how powerful the Amiga was as a computer to near at the time photo realistic graphics with thanks to the likes of Jim Sachs with incredible titles like defender of the crown etc.

Thailion did seriously incredible things with the Amiga both visually and sound wise, with the likes of Lionheart had if not better than some arcade coinop games in terms of graphics and music. Wings of Death was another brilliant game. And let's not forget Core Design's contribution to the Amiga as well with smash hits like Banshee, Wolfchild, Premiere, Chuck Rock series , helmdale series, Skeleton Krew, I could go on all day and we loved every one of them, why can't today's games hold such value? As they games cost a fraction of the cost into today's cost.

DeadVoivod