Redesigning the Spectum 128k.

Started by zapiy, August 20, 2016, 20:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

Jim aka Mypinballs around the interwebs is a guy I have followed and admired for a very long time, there are few people with the skills to create hardware like this chap and it gives my great pleasure to share his latest creation..

The ZX Spectrum was my favourite thing in the whole world when i was 8. It's what led me into a world of software and hardware design. Every since i first got a rubber keyed 48k, i always thought one day i'll make my own, never really thinking that it would be possible. However with my lifetime of 8-bit pinball hardware repair knowledge always expanding and with me developing my own range of replacement cpu and sound board hardware for various pinball systems over the last few years the thought reappeared in my mind and now didn't feel to far away :)

The thought of being able to redesign and make my own computer that could load and play games, connect up to modern TVs and be still affordable to buy or self build for the hobbits was my goal. Having spent many years with a 48k model and having pictures of the original Sinclair designed 128k machine on my bedroom wall, the 128k model had to be the one to remake and hopefully improve.  Later on in my spectrum days is did manage to get myself a +2A and +3, and even though i couldn't love them like the 'proper' Sinclair made versions i did love the 128k music and games. The AY-8912 chip is a thing of beauty and is featured in many arcade and pinball pieces of hardware from the same era.

Taken from mypinballs blog site. Read more about it HERE

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

guest5163

This looks cool! If it had a more accessible output (for non-pinball-technicians, I mean :) ) than the SCART connector and some assertiveness of it working outside of UK (re. NTSC TVs, 110V power, etc), I'd seriously consider it...

Vadergb

Ive seen a few people that have built their own Spectrum's on twitter recently. Interesting stuff.