Christmas Carol vs. The Ghost Of Christmas Presents - New In

Started by TL, June 04, 2012, 19:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DZ-Jay

Quote from: "zapiy"
Quote from: "TrekMD"Following Laird's example on Impulse X,  here is my short review of Christmas Carol and The Ghost of Christmas Presents!

[size=140]Review[/size]

Can you save Christmas?  That is the question you are asked when you read the manual to this holiday title for the Intellivision.  You play the role of Carol Greenleaf, an elf who has been tasked by Santa Claus to recover the presents the Evil Snowman has stolen from his shop.  The Evil Snowman has taken the games into Frozen Ice-Cube Caverns in the Himalayas and this is where you must go.  The Ghost of Christmas Presents assists the Snowman by haunting the caverns to protect the presents.  Though his touch won't kill you, the Ghost will take any presents you've recovered back into the caverns forcing you to start again.  Of course, the Evil Snowman doesn't leave the Ghost to do all the work.  He enters the caverns seeking to freeze you with his touch.  Thankfully, Santa's magic will thaw you back a limited number of times so you can continue your mission.  To assist you on this mission, the caverns have been filled with magical snowflakes that you can use to confuse your enemies temporarily, giving you an opportunity to avoid their touch.  Elves love candy and there is plenty of bon-bon candy Carol can pick up as she moves through the caverns for extra points.  Should Carol pick up all the objects on each cavern without being frozen, she is awarded bonus points.  Christmas Carol is a fantastic title for the Intellivision.  The title screen has a beautifully rendered Christmas tree and it plays "Carol of the Bells."  You can choose practice levels or get into the game itself.  You can practice in all but the final level of the game.  There also are some very entertaining intermissions every two levels that always make me smile.  This is another winner that no Intellivision owner should be without.

[size=140]Score: 9/10[/size]

Brilliant stuff, sounds like a great game and one i really want a bash on..

Seriously need to look at my Intellivision and try and fix it or buy another one.

Don't forget that the ROM is available for free.  The cartridge game makes for a great collectible (and playing it on the Intellivision console with overlays and all enhances the experience), but you can try it out on an emulator.

Check out our Christmas High Score Championship page for more information:
http://www.CarolVsGhost.com/cvw2012/

TL

I really don't like emulators but do want to play this badly

TrekMD

Quote from: "The Laird"I really don't like emulators but do want to play this badly

Without the console, I guess that's the only way you can at least get a taste for the game. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

DZ-Jay

Quote from: "The Laird"I really don't like emulators but do want to play this badly

I hear you.  If you get your Intellivision to work, I'll be more than happy to sell you a cartridge copy of the game. :)

In the meantime, feel free to check out the ROM.  I packaged it 3 ways: by itself (for power users), in a Windows emulator bundle, and in a Mac OSX bundle.  The bundles come with nice installers that set up everything, so that you don't have to play with configurations or missing libraries.

dZ.

TL

Quote from: "DZ-Jay"

I hear you.  If you get your Intellivision to work, I'll be more than happy to sell you a cartridge copy of the game. ;)

DZ-Jay

Quote from: "The Laird"
Quote from: "DZ-Jay"

I hear you.  If you get your Intellivision to work, I'll be more than happy to sell you a cartridge copy of the game. ;)

Whoops! :)

TL

I finally figured out the HTML coding and got the featured review for this up today:

http://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/index. ... =xmascarol

Hope you like it!

DZ-Jay

Quote from: "The Laird"I finally figured out the HTML coding and got the featured review for this up today:

http://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/index. ... =xmascarol

Hope you like it!
Wow, I am honoured and flattered by the wonderful review. :-)

I am very glad that you like the game so much, and I hope that others enjoy it as much.

And for those who are not really into Intellivision, why not give it a try? – the ROM is available for free, with a bundled emulator, on the webpage.

Cheers, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! :)

TrekMD

I will be playing it through emulation when I go to PR for vacation so I can compete.  ;)  Glad you like it.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...