Christmas Carol vs. The Ghost Of Christmas Presents - New In

Started by TL, June 04, 2012, 19:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

TrekMD

Quote from: "The Laird"Really look forward to reading your review!  :)  I just placed the order for it.  I have tried the demo ROM and it is a fun game.  It may look like Pengo but it plays nothing like it.  ;)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

DZ-Jay

Hello, I am DZ, the programmer of the Christmas Carol game.  I found this forum by chance when looking through my visitors' logs.

I'm very flattered by the excitement and the comments so far, thanks!  I really hope you guys enjoy the game.  I think it's a lot of fun. :)

For the administrators, we can provide a review copy if you are interested in writing up a review of the game.  Just contact us at <info@CarolVsGhost.com>.

Thanks again for the interest.  I'm very excited to finally have the game out in people's hands, and I can't wait to hear what they think of it.

Cheers!
     dZ.

TL

Quote from: &quot;dzfoo&quot;Hello, I am DZ, the programmer of the Christmas Carol game.  I found this forum by chance when looking through my visitors' logs.

I'm very flattered by the excitement and the comments so far, thanks!  I really hope you guys enjoy the game.  I think it's a lot of fun. 8)

Stuff like this make me want to get an Intellivision myself so keep up the hard work!

DZ-Jay

Thanks for the welcome. I can't wait to read TrekMD's review of the game. :(
- It crashed at the start of the boss level--always--so there was no way to beat the game.
- It's been fixed and tested thoroughly, and the version for sale now works correctly.

Also, about the demo ROM:
- It's a very old version of the game.  In fact, it was actually an unfinished port of Pac-Man I was working on that I themed for Christmas and then changed to a full game.  That version was made in two weeks.
- The demo has only one level, and although the game-play is basically the same, many elements of the final version are missing.
- The final version for sale has 8 different levels, very cool cut scenes, and improved graphics and animations.

If you guys had trouble running the demo, or if it seemed slow, it may have been an artifact of the emulator.  I can assure you that the final version runs silky smooth on the Intellivision.

For example, the video trailers posted on the site are actually cut-scenes from the game.

Regards,
      dZ.

TL

Shadowrunner

Awesome looking game. Now I want an Intellivision!  :)

TrekMD

Hey DZ and welcome to RVG!  Yes, I already placed the order for the game and I can hardly wait to get it.  :) 

onthinice

Really glad for the updated information. Thanks everyone!

TrekMD

OK, the short review is written and I'm working on a feature one.  :) 

I saw this shared elsewhere, so I wanted to share this video of the evolution of the title screen for the game here as well...

http://vimeo.com/54165189

DZ-Jay

Oh yeah, I should post everything over here also. I just don't want to be seen as a troll that's plugging his stuff all the time.  :)

TrekMD

Quote from: &quot;DZ-Jay&quot;Oh yeah, I should post everything over here also. I just don't want to be seen as a troll that's plugging his stuff all the time.  :)

DZ-Jay

DZ-Jay

Oh, and don't forget about the High Score Championship: 

Christmas Carol vs. The WORLD!

It starts this Saturday, December 1st. :)

dZ.

TrekMD

Following Laird's example on Impulse X,  here is my short review of Christmas Carol and The Ghost of Christmas Presents!

[size=140]Review[/size]

Can you save Christmas?  That is the question you are asked when you read the manual to this holiday title for the Intellivision.  You play the role of Carol Greenleaf, an elf who has been tasked by Santa Claus to recover the presents the Evil Snowman has stolen from his shop.  The Evil Snowman has taken the games into Frozen Ice-Cube Caverns in the Himalayas and this is where you must go.  The Ghost of Christmas Presents assists the Snowman by haunting the caverns to protect the presents.  Though his touch won't kill you, the Ghost will take any presents you've recovered back into the caverns forcing you to start again.  Of course, the Evil Snowman doesn't leave the Ghost to do all the work.  He enters the caverns seeking to freeze you with his touch.  Thankfully, Santa's magic will thaw you back a limited number of times so you can continue your mission.  To assist you on this mission, the caverns have been filled with magical snowflakes that you can use to confuse your enemies temporarily, giving you an opportunity to avoid their touch.  Elves love candy and there is plenty of bon-bon candy Carol can pick up as she moves through the caverns for extra points.  Should Carol pick up all the objects on each cavern without being frozen, she is awarded bonus points.  Christmas Carol is a fantastic title for the Intellivision.  The title screen has a beautifully rendered Christmas tree and it plays "Carol of the Bells."  You can choose practice levels or get into the game itself.  You can practice in all but the final level of the game.  There also are some very entertaining intermissions every two levels that always make me smile.  This is another winner that no Intellivision owner should be without.

[size=140]Score: 9/10[/size]