Sturmwind - Sega Dreamcast Homebrew!

Started by TL, June 04, 2012, 18:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

Sturmwind is a shmup in the tradition of old arcade games. If it moves - shoot it. The game tries to take advantage of every bit of the Dreamcast hardware and supports a wide range of effects. It also uses the SD Card for various features - if you have one.

You can play the normal mode with all 16 levels or the arcade mode with only 6 levels and no continues. In normal mode your progress will be saved with every finished level.

The game is designed for all Dreamcast fans, it is no hardcore maniac or score shooter. Even average players are able to see more than the first level. There is a good bit of memorization involved as with most of this type of games but that is part of the fun.

http://www.duranik.com/dreamcast.html

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

zapiy

These guys have done a fantastic job and deserve all the support they get.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

AmigaJay

Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

dcultrapro

I received this response from Duranik today finally after pestering them and Redspot games... and only after I made mention of the fact that if they don't start shipping it soon people will start to ask for their money back

-------------------------------------------------

Hi,

Sorry for the constant delays of the game. The problem are still the Boxes of the LE Version, there was an production error with the first run. As these are produced in China communication is a major issue. Last we heard from RSG is that they have now a new production slot.
Unfortunately we can not give a release date, but i would expect it not before the next 6-8 weeks.

Best regards,

Johannes / Duranik

-------------------------------------------------

now I'm happy I've got a response but I'm surprised that, after 6 months they are STILL using the packaging problem as an excuse, this was the reason it was delayed in December/January... I'm starting to grow concerned
Ultrapro on xbox live

zapiy

Must be hard in this industry, i am sure it will turn out ok bud. ;)

dcultrapro

yeah it just seems to me that Duranik have been screwed by RSG, they obviously have an agreement for RSG to distribute the game but they aren't fulfilling that deal/agreement and its taking forever... at this rate I will probably have Gunlord before Sturmwind!!

oh, and not sure if it matters but technically Sturmwind isn't a homebrew project... though I'm not sure what it would be classed as
Ultrapro on xbox live

zapiy

Yeah your right, Super Fighter Team said to the same to me.. they certainly see themselves are professional software houses and not homebrew.

dcultrapro

well yeah but Super Fighter published Zaku themselves didn't they? Where as Duranik are the developer and they have a seperate publisher in RSG, however shit they are lol. anyway I'm not bothered either way, I suppose technically it would be deemed as homebrew in a sense that its not recognised by Sega
Ultrapro on xbox live

TL

I merged this into the Sturmwind topic so it made more sense  ;)

I have seen many people say that a project is too professional to be homebrew and almost see it as a slight, Battle Sphere and Gorf on the Jaguar are other good examples.

The thing is though that homebrew is recognised as an unlicensed game for platform no longer supported by its manufacturer that is made in small numbers and produced by hobby coders. That is exactly what Sturmwind is and Zaku was and Gorf . . . . . .

The term homebrew really shouldn't be seen as a slight, it's companies like these that have raised the bar and pushed up the standard of homebrew in such away that we now feel comfortable calling some homebrew games bad. I can remember when people pored over any new homebrew release and praised it to the hilt no matter how bad the game was just because it was a new game for their console, those days are thankfully gone.

zapiy

Thats the 2nd move then lol.. It was attached to the interview at first.. should have thought to move here at first.

dcultrapro

sorry guys... me causing trouble again lol
Ultrapro on xbox live

TL

Quote from: "dcultrapro"sorry guys... me causing trouble again lol

That's what moderators are for  :P