Author Topic: Jaguar SD cart  (Read 1384 times)

Offline Vadergb

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
Jaguar SD cart
« on: May 13, 2016, 18:35:53 PM »
Is there an definitive SD cart for the Jag?

I have seen people using "Prototype" carts to switch between games and the odd SD/Flash based cart. I love real carts but most are rare in the UK, The Jag CD is even rarer so an option is to get a "Everdrive" type cart for the Jag would be nice. Also there's quite a bit of home-brew around for the Jag too it seems.

Theres plenty of Jaguar knowledge on this forum so I though I would just straight out ask. Thanks.

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Jaguar SD cart
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 18:53:23 PM »
As far as I know there is no SD type device for the Jag. There is a flash cart called a Skunk Board that would work for you but I don't believe anyone is making them anymore. They pop up on ebay once in a while but are usually very expensive. There was someone selling another type of device on ebay for a while that had room for four game roms of your choice on it and I think they would program it for you before shipping but I haven't seen them lately.

If you're interested in the homebrew scene your best bet is to keep an eye on the Jaguar section on Atari Age. Most of the games are announced there and some are sold through them too.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 01:26:50 AM »
There is no SD Card cart for the Jaguar,  unfortunately.  It would be great if one were available, though.  I do have the SkunkBoard, which is a great flashcart.  The Skunks do claim plenty of money on ebay as they are the only device of this type for the system and there have been limited runs when sold.  There are three different versions, I believe, but they all work the same.  :)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline Vadergb

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 21:07:33 PM »
Thanks for the updates, I will keep my eyes open. Google shows there have been similar questions since 2007. Krikzz has publicly stated he's not been interested in producing atm. [PENSIVE FACE]

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 15:02:41 PM »
You would have thought the Jag scene would be his biggest potential???
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 15:19:16 PM »
Jaguar fans are very passionate for sure and will buy just about anything released for the system, but unfortunately their numbers are pretty small. The number of people who would buy something like this is very tiny compared to other retro consoles which is most likely why nothings been made.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 01:49:33 AM »
Looks like the same person who made the Lynx SD Cart will be making one for the Jaguar.  We'll just have to wait a bit for it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 02:53:39 AM by TrekMD »

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 02:50:04 AM »
Cool! Glad to see someone's going to do it :)

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 06:06:22 AM »
Awesome news.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline Saturn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://jaysmith2000.ipbhost.com/index.php?s=c827a7b611daaaf555722b332b1b9a2c&act=idx
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 15:49:12 PM »
That's interesting news :)

Offline Vadergb

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 14:58:22 PM »
Now I own a Jaguar its good news. The games are all pretty expensive in the UK and dropping £30 on a stinker doesnt appeal. I would definitely like Doom, AVP and Tempest - Plus the homebrew scene is pretty vibrant too.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 02:57:35 AM »
SainT has created a new thread over in Atari Age about this SD cart.  Here is his post:

I've been getting quite a few PM's and messages in the Lynx SD thread asking about a Jaguar SD cartridge (Everdrive style), which I've hinted at in a few other places. I thought I'd just make it known that the design for a Jaguar SD cartridge is largely complete and I've started some actual work on it. Although the Lynx SD cartridge production is taking all my spare time at the moment, so until I've got that under control then progress will be slow.

What I have got sorted is a good start, however. I've got a windows tool chain setup for the Jag. I have replaced the boot ROM with my own code and have hooked the Jag up to my trusty old SC1224. Next up is interfacing the Jag's DSP port to the PC via a microcontroller using the high speed synchronous serial interface. This will then let me actually do simple dev work on the Jag to test cartridge hardware.

This is going to be a while yet, it could well take another 6-12 months depending on how much time I need to devote to the Lynx SD, as this is just a hobby for me, so my time is limited.

There are no pre-order lists or anything like that, and I will ask for posts relating to this to be removed as it's just way too early. However if anyone wants to ask any questions, or if I have any progress updates, this thread is a good place for them.

Check out the thread here:  Upcoming Jaguar SD Cartridge

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 02:04:19 AM »
This video update was posted today.  Looks like things are coming along nicely...

Offline Saturn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://jaysmith2000.ipbhost.com/index.php?s=c827a7b611daaaf555722b332b1b9a2c&act=idx
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 00:17:17 AM »
Looks like it's very close now. So happy this is going to become a reality soon.
From my understanding, SainT only needs to emulate the CD games and make a few tweaks to the latest rev of his board. No idea how much work will be involved with the CD part but it sounds daunting enough.
Hopefully everything continues to move fluidly and this will be completed and for sale before too long.

Playing Battlemorph without burning up the CD attachment will be worth the cost of the device by itself in my opinion.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2018, 00:20:13 AM »
Yes, it seems emulating the CD games is the one step missing.  After that, it should be ready!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk