Author Topic: Underappreciated Atari 8-Bit Games  (Read 929 times)

Offline Cryptic33

• View Profile
Underappreciated Atari 8-Bit Games
« on: November 14, 2015, 15:06:35 PM »
Hmm, I know of an under-appreciated Atari 8-bit game. It was Powerdown, not sure if it was on the C64 as well but I really liked the approach of the game:
VIDEO This video does not spoil the game by showing the final stage which, is difficult but thrilling!
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

Offline MadCommodore

• View Profile
Re: Underappreciated Atari 8-Bit Games
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 01:51:04 AM »
Panther also by Mastertronic (Entertainment USA label) was actually a nice isometric shmup which I love. The music by David Whittaker is also pretty special piece of SAP music.

(there are loads of vids on Youtube as also there is my longplay in HD of the C64 version)

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 12:13:56 PM »
I'm going try and go for some obscure ones now, or one which weren't sold in Europe, a absolute classic that comes to my mind and remember playing thanks to my fathers friend whom worked in the country's telecom services known then as P&T(Post and telegraph) who had access to free calls to the United States in which became great friend with "Yogi" from Jellystone park bbs, but I'm off off on a history road there, back on topic.

Yes this one

Trivia Quest (Royal Software 1984)

This was Trivia Pursuit with a difference, this took the Archon approach in the extend of an RPG style adventure while asking you general trivia from sports to movies, the battle sequences and arcade action extended this even further and was an amazing example of originality and darling to take one type of game and turn it into something completely else. It's super smooth and brilliantly programmed, one for those you love high adventure and quizzes all in one. Genius.

Cosmic Tunnels (Datamost 1983)

One of my all time favorite games on the Atari 8-bit, so much it was, I did a video review of this game on my you tube channel about 5 years and can be seen here, this was another one of those games that brought multi leveled game play to the table, space flight, trust style landing, and isomeric play forming action across a planet designated level select, brilliant music matched with surprisingly good graphics all running out in 48k, technically again, brilliantly programmed and is the best presentation in terms of its C64 counter part.

Final Legacy (Atari USA 1984)

Final Legacy from Atari was a bit of a sleeper title, when I first played this I was thinking that the Atari 8-bit was becoming a serious piece of kit with its map generation, with open ocean battleship battles with wonderful gradient skies and clouds and very recognizable battle cruisers been blasted out of the sea, followed by locking on and taking down nuclear missiles via this futuristic grid tracking system, made this a very varied and technically excellent design game that had a easy learning curve not to be unplayable for the novice player, so I'd simply like to say Kudo's to Dan Oliver and Chris Horseman for a technically brilliantly designed game.

The one thing you may of noticed was the years in which these games were created when in comparison to today's software houses, pales to the creativity of the talent that existed over 30 years ago, the games were daring, clever and exciting and understandably the economics of today's budgets in game development is 100 times greater, but is no excuse for the lack of innovation that we see 90% of the time and that tells you that 30 years was a better time than today IMO.

So I'll continue some more diamonds in the ruff that were exceptional on the Atari 8-bit, maybe a few of you will know and have played these games, some of you wont which is fantastic for you to find out how good they are.

Beer Belly Burt's Brew Biz (American Eagle Software 1985)

Anything that came from coder extraordinaire Frank Cohen was always going to you many how it was done with both game design and concept, He is the man behind such great games as Cohen's tower, ghost chaser And ollie's follies, so check them out if you haven't already done so.

Break It (Oliver Cyranka 1986)

Showing how the Atari 8-bit was at accomplishing a near perfect arcade conversion of Taito's Arkanoid against the poor conversion Imagine software did, no colour clashing here or sprite detection errors, so again coding talent wins the day with this port, although some of the screens are difference from the Imagine version, this version plays far superior even with a joystick.

The Great American Cross-Country Road Race (Activision 1985)

I think this game goes unnoticed a hell of lot of times in recent years and was what OutRun was in gameplay mechanics over a year before Sega's smash hit arrived in Arcades, you travel cross country to different part of the untied states, but what made this technically brilliant was the you had races in fog (lotus esprit 2), night time races, real time day light chances and great American land marks when you arrived at the city's destination. Fantastic game this was and I still play it today.

Cave IN (Sunset software 1983)

Just look at those graphics? And this is 1983!!!, this was a great testament that the Atari 8-bit computer in the right hands could deliver such high quality graphics and game play that matched and in some cases better arcade coin ops games out at that time, this is a familiar platform game nothing new there, but with big sprites and colour levels, isn't this enough to make it great? I thought so.

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 07:59:07 AM »
Great read GF. I never had the pleasure of playing many of those and suspect unless I go the emulator route I never will. Look amazing considering the machines they are running on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC