The Konix Multi-System

Started by TL, May 22, 2012, 19:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rogue Trooper

Just recently been reading through some old copies of: The Games Machine (great mag) saw piccy of Wyn Holloway sat on the system in full set up (Chair with TV and Console perched on it), big smile.Photo taken at British International Toy+Hobby Fair at Earls Court.

TL

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"Just recently been reading through some old copies of: The Games Machine (great mag) saw piccy of Wyn Holloway sat on the system in full set up (Chair with TV and Console perched on it), big smile.Photo taken at British International Toy+Hobby Fair at Earls Court.

Did you read the article in last months RG?

Has some amazing pics of the chair including early designs. Definately one the best articles to have been in RG in recent times.

Rogue Trooper

Yep, it was that very article that kinda got me searching out the old mags that covered the Konix back in the day, the 'warning signs' were there if you looked close enough-talk of developers getting tired of waiting for things to happen, games being shown basically ST/Amiga games in terms of resolution, but say 256 colours and more detail in say tracksides in racing games.

I still feel it's a crying shame nothing came of it-The concept was so ahead of it's time and seemed to be designed with gamers in mind.

The article in RG though was superb, as were the videos on a DVD given away in the early, pre-Darren (P.D.E as i call it) era.

TL

I never had that DVD as I didn't buy RG back then  :'(

I have watched all the videos on the Konix website though and some of the games look really impressive.

Poor old Flare design didn't have much luck what with this, the Jaguar and the Nuon. Shame as they were clearly great hardware designers.

Rogue Trooper

Picked up my back issues when i was going through my Ebay phase (lasted until some sorry arsed S.O.A.B ripped me off and closed account on there, Grr!)-paid good few pennies to secure back issues of R.G and Edge (of all things).Luckily enough, mags came with the covermounted DVD's.

The multi-system i feel would have needed lot more than 256 colour versions of Amiga/ST games to really stand a chance, i was avid follower of the hardware at the time, but also an ST owner and so would have needed to see some killer-apps exclusive to Konix.

Something like say Starglider 3 would have gotten a day 1 purchase from myself.

Nuon? yeah great shame as seem to remember key figure from SONY quitting to work with Nuon and media saying Nuon really must be something amazing as this person had been playing key role in PS2 R+D and if Nuon had tempted him away...plus Minter working with them and news of Iron Solider 3...at the time i really wanted it to kick some backside.

Rogue Trooper

Just transfered all the RG DVD demo.s of Konix onto my PS3 HDD tonight.The above vids, plus:

Starray, Last Ninja, Sailing, Hammerfist, Bikers, Rotox, art, Cube, Victor, Audio, 3 Modes demo's etc.

TL

Some amazing new news:

After all these years, and with the kind permission of it's creator, Attack of the Mutant Camels 1989 for the unreleased Konix Multisystem has been found AND emulated.

The Emulator programmer has produced this video of the emulation running on his computer. Shortly, once he is completely happy with the quality of his emulation, he will release the Emulator and along with Jeff's permission we will be able to have a copy of the game and play it ourselves.

This is astounding and is a very significant development. I am, needless to say thrilled!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yN2CrhO ... r_embedded

DreamcastRIP

Bloody hell, this is superb news!  :)

Do we know how/where the game was discovered - did Minter himself locate it?
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Greyfox

TL

Quote from: "DreamcastRIP"Do we know how/where the game was discovered - did Minter himself locate it?

Apparently not, somebody else found it but Jeff gave his permission for it to be released.

TrekMD

Very nice!  Amazing what still shows up!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Rogue Trooper

Fantastic news!.

Very keen to hear how game auctually plays though, 1 thing that really did my swede in with Defender 2000 on the Jaguar, was the size of your ship, far, far too large and it's origins seem to stem from the Konix game somewhat.

Rogue Trooper

Meant to say, The Games Machine reviewed a Konix game (but did make it clear it was on unfinished hardware), game was: Hammerfist, scored 90%, sprites said to be smaller than Amiga version, due to hardware memory issues.