Review of the Week - Super Castlevania IV SNES

Started by TrekMD, October 19, 2015, 02:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

[align=center:e1aaqj5p]Super Castlevania IV - Super NES

Reviewed by Nakamura

[/align:e1aaqj5p][align=center:e1aaqj5p]

Continuing with Halloween reviews for this month, let's look at game for the SNES...

Review]
The first Castlevania title on the Super Nintendo is a great one. First released in 1991 in Japan and the US it thrilled gamers with improved control of the character and the whip and boasted a truly staggering soundtrack. Simon Belmont is again the lead and controls better than ever. He can be manoeuvred in the air when jumping a certain amount, which makes negotiation through tricky areas much less of a chore. Also whip control is greatly improved with eight attack directions possible. Also by holding the attack button the whip goes limp allowing Simon to flick it out to kill minor enemies or block projectile attacks. The whip can also be used to swing across set locations, which helps to add yet another element to the gameplay. The game has eleven massive stages split into multiple areas, each with its own theme ranging from castle gardens to dungeons. Each location is wonderfully designed and boasts some stunning visuals and gameplay ideas. The 360 degree rotating room remains a standout moment all these years later. Music is staggering with masses of bass and natural sounding instruments mixed with expert composition sets a scene that has rarely been bettered. The use of stereo effects are also second to none, witness the swinging chandeliers for this. Negatives? Simon could still control better and his and a few others sprites are messy. Also the game does suffer from slowdown in places which is a pity but over Castlevania is a brilliant game and well worth tracking down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj8aCnLKnbU

[size=180]Review Found Here[/size][/align:e1aaqj5p]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

Great review. I've never played this Castlevania game but it's a classic series and great for this time of year :113:

Lorfarius

The music on that first level is astounding. The bit where it sounds like a guitar kicking in! Used to get me all excited  8)

Greyfox

This was brilliant at the time, proving that the SNES could with no problems at all do a full tilt arcade action title you could play at home, I thought this was incredible for the time confirming I made the right choice in my 16-bit console purchase :)