Arcade Homebrew: Speccies 2 for Taito L System

Started by zapiy, October 12, 2015, 19:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

RVG member @Sokurah recently joined UKVAC and was inspired to create a game to work on real arcade hardware so he has ported one of his on Spectrum games, Speccies 2.

In this game you play The Speccie and you have to roll around the board collecting all the shimmering yellow objects. Once you've rolled over a square it becomes inaccessible and you can't roll over it again, so you have to plan your route across the board unless you want to "paint yourself into a corner" (this games version of 'losing a life). There are 50 levels in the game. The Spectrum version only had 36 as some of the original levels were too big for the Spectrum screen, but the Taito L System has a slightly larger screen resolution and thus contains all the original 50 levels from the Flashgame.

This game would never have been possible without the help of @Cmonkey at UKVAC as he has done a really good job of reverse engineering the arcade hardware. He also ported the music player from the Spectrum and cleaned up my own rewrite of the sound effects routine - also ported form the Spectrum.

This game is coded for the 'Plotting' board but will also run on the Puzznic board if the files are renamed accordingly. It has been thoroughly tested on the real hardware but will also happily run under MAME.

You can read more about the game on Sokurah's website, and also download the game from there.

http://tardis.dk/wordpress/?page_id=1359

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Saturn

That's a great story of how it came to be and now with all the original levels. Plus, having it work on MAME is outstanding! Grabbed the file from the link & can't wait 'til I get to a Windows computer so I can test it out.
Excellent stuff! :113:

Shadowrunner

zapiy

Had a crack on this now, cracking work.

Audio is soooo catchy and the game is addictive..

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

cmonkey

Saturn

Yes it is. Just got this fired up for a few minutes and having a great time with it.
Tried to rename the zip to plotting2 so I could hold both this and Sokoban but it errored out with "mame plotting2." Will have to rename either correctly as they're played.

Great strategy game 8)

Sokurah

Quote from: "Saturn"Tried to rename the zip to plotting2 so I could hold both this and Sokoban but it errored out with "mame plotting2." Will have to rename either correctly as they're played.

Here's what you can do;

rename b96-07.ic9 to c20-07.ic10
rename b96-08.ic8 to c20-06.ic9
rename ic10 to c20-09.ic11

...and call it 'Puzznic' instead. That'll work too and allow you to keep both games.
Website: Tardis remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
Twitter: Sokurah

Saturn

zapiy

Great stuff, I was struggling on that also.. Wallop