New 7800 Homebrew: Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest

Started by TL, May 17, 2012, 14:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

I can't wait to see this released!  Of course, we need the XM out first!

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Greyfox

this little gem is wonderful..really nice stuff..and for some reason feels very fresh..sorta like a found again treasure of a game..really good stuff.

TL

This is exactly the kind of game the 7800 needed back in 1986

TrekMD

Quote from: "The Laird"This is exactly the kind of game the 7800 needed back in 1986

Agreed!  Of course, now someone is complaining on AA why it is that we are getting this game made for the 7800 instead of the regular arcade-type games.  The person complaining doesn't want NES-type games on the 7800.  Can't please everyone! 

Rogue Trooper

Since discovering the whole Homebrew scene, as it were, really been amazed at what folks managing to get out of Atari 8 Bit hardware, 1st Space Harrier, now this.

Feel the entire Atari 8 Bit range sadly so often ignored by likes of RG magazine  (as is the ST!) in favour of the same old formats and topics, so discovering threads like this are a god send.

TL

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"Since discovering the whole Homebrew scene, as it were, really been amazed at what folks managing to get out of Atari 8 Bit hardware, 1st Space Harrier, now this.

Feel the entire Atari 8 Bit range sadly so often ignored by likes of RG magazine  (as is the ST!) in favour of the same old formats and topics, so discovering threads like this are a god send.

I have been saying myself for ages now, it took a lot of pushing and shoving to get them go ahead with the ST article and it went down a storm so I was pretty pleased - especially as it was my very first article for RG!!!

The worst thing is that we have all this great Atari homebrew coming out and it rarely features in TMR's homebrew section.

Rogue Trooper

Whilst there has been some fantastic pieces in RG of late and yes, they've done hardware feature on Atari:800XL, Jaguar etc in past (and they have to appeal to mass market etc), it's just so damn frustrating to see the A8+ST range over looked so often.

I know Amiga had superior versions of so many ST games in terms of colours, sound etc, but that does'nt mean ST version should be ignored (3D often faster) and i'd hope that magazine would be trying to broaded horizions, ie think you know:Dropzone, Encounter, Rescue On Fractulas, Elktraglide? then why not try the A8 versions.

Also showcasing the A8 homebrew would (hopefully) open peoples eyes to just what the hardware was capable of-All too often the A8 got poor conversions (Arkanoid, Green Beret), but from what i read at the time, A8 programmers thin on the ground (Firebird wanted to do Elite on A8, but could'nt find programmers), so RG has a chance to adress history here.

TrekMD

Unfortunately, it appears that development for this game has been stopped as Bob has decided to retire from making games.  It is sad to see Bob leave the homebrew scene since he has been one of the most prolific 7800 homebrewers.  He has made the code for his games freely available, so here's hoping that someone else will pick up where he left off and finish this game for the XM.  From the last update it appears as if the game itself was done and only sound remained as the final thing to add. 

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"Unfortunately, it appears that development for this game has been stopped as Bob has decided to retire from making games.  It is sad to see Bob leave the homebrew scene since he has been one of the most prolific 7800 homebrewers.  He has made the code for his games freely available, so here's hoping that someone else will pick up where he left off and finish this game for the XM.  From the last update it appears as if the game itself was done and only sound remained as the final thing to add.

I was reading this earlier, gutted is not the word!  :'(

TrekMD

Quote from: "The Laird"
Quote from: "TrekMD"Unfortunately, it appears that development for this game has been stopped as Bob has decided to retire from making games.  It is sad to see Bob leave the homebrew scene since he has been one of the most prolific 7800 homebrewers.  He has made the code for his games freely available, so here's hoping that someone else will pick up where he left off and finish this game for the XM.  From the last update it appears as if the game itself was done and only sound remained as the final thing to add.

I was reading this earlier, gutted is not the word!  :'(

That is very possible.  I really hope Tep or one of the other guys does finish this game, if only to honor Bob's work. 

TrekMD

Good news!  Tep already said that he'll finish the game!  Since it is only music that is missing, he said it should not be to difficult.  He's actually looking for music for the game now with the idea of using the Yamaha chip on the XM.  So, if anyone has any suggestions, feel free to share!

onthinice

A case of good news/bad news. Great to hear the game is still going but sad to hear about the departure of Bob.

108 Stars

Good to see this is being finished, but I do hope there will be more improvements beside adding music. A few people including me had posted and made suggestions to get this project to become a truly great jump' n run when Bob quit... the potential is there. If it stays like this it's still okay, but not what it could have been and certainly no Mario-equivalent for the 7800. :/
Systems owned: Atari 2600, Lynx, Jaguar, NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy, Master System, Mega Drive, Dreamcast, Game Gear, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Wonderswan

TrekMD

Quote from: "108 Stars"Good to see this is being finished, but I do hope there will be more improvements beside adding music. A few people including me had posted and made suggestions to get this project to become a truly great jump' n run when Bob quit... the potential is there. If it stays like this it's still okay, but not what it could have been and certainly no Mario-equivalent for the 7800. :/

Well, Tep said he'd finish it.  Maybe he'll be open to making additional changes.  Time will tell.  For now, though, he's mentioned the music only but perhaps he hasn't seen all of the comments that were being made.

TrekMD

I thought I'd share this AA post from Bob here as he is looking or some help and maybe someone here can offer it. 

After purchasing some hardware, and writing some programs, I am raising the white flag on going from instrument->Pokey data.  Being that I am unable to figure out how to use RMT (or whatever the acronym is), I am looking for someone to take on creating the music for this game.

Ideally, I'd like to use the Pokey.  These are the individual tunes that are needed:

- Title Screen
- Level 1 (Forest)
- Level 2 (Sky)
- Level 3 (Mountains - inside and out)
- Level 4 (Castle - top level)
- Level 5 (Castle - deep inside)
- Level 6 (Hidden level, multiple environments)
- Finish Level
- Kill Boss
- End Game

Anyone willing to take on this project, please PM me.  Of course, you will get a mention in the manual, a free cart, and part of whatever proceeds come in from the sale of the carts (the same way PAC-MAN-RED is for doing the graphics).

Thanks,
Bob