The History of Donkey Kong

Started by TrekMD, September 12, 2015, 03:55:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

So, who wants to learn more about a certain ape?!  Check out the History of Donkey Kong!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iraLfEz0 ... &index=113

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Ben

That was a fun video, I think either Donkey Kong or Galaga had to be my first arcade game.  Time flies, it's hard to believe we're over three decades into that franchise.

TrekMD

Yep, time does fly.  Where have 30 years gone? 

zapiy

Great video and very informative.. still a great game even now. 

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

It certainly is.  One of my favorites to play. 

zapiy

I was thinking that of all the history books for retro gaming coming out of late, this is a subject crying out for a book.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

It would likely need permission from Nintendo for it to happen, though.  I wonder how likely they'd be to grant it.

Greyfox

Well, it could be done from an informative point of view if an Author took it up. As long as he states that it's from a personally perspective and does not harm or infringe in attempting to damage the IP in any way, but do you think there would be enough content to create a entire book on one IP like this? There would be very little the Big N could do regarding that as "freedom to free speech and Opinion" officially of course, but I'm Nintendo would go for it if presented a informative book outline and direction, they might even allow their Donkey Kong archive to be included, now that would be something.

They also need to find a serious collector so that they may photograph and document donkey Kong memorabilia, which I would say would be a hefty task in its own right. Are they many Die hard Donkey Kong fans which could rise to the task? , I'm Sure Bill Michell would be up for adding a piece to it.

TrekMD

Well, Sega sent a cease and desist for the Dreamcast book that just had a list of games released (without even pictures), I'd imagine Nintendo may be just as proactive at protecting their IP as they'll likely only want an authorized book. 

Insofar as content, I think there would be quite a bit to cover given all the game that have been made using this character.  Adding memorabilia would be a good idea too. 

onthinice

How about a book called Crazy Kong the unauthorized clone of Donkey Kong?  :21:

I enjoyed the video and remember getting the Coleco tabletop version of Donkey Kong first. Sure it only had two screens and ate C-batteries fast but it was portable. Did I mention fun? It was a blast flipping the score.