Underappreciated N64 Games.

Started by zapiy, August 31, 2015, 17:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

Don't think I have ever had the pleasure of playing the N64 version.. Still debating on clearing out my N64 collection so I may never either.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

davyk

There's a home-brew version of it for PC. Not sure how good it is though.

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

stonemonkeylives

Beetle Adventure Racing is a fun game.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HDn01E_aTJ0

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Vadergb

Quote from: "davyk"Another N64 game I believe is under appreciated is Doom 64.
Great call, I've only recently purchased it, it had a proper make over with unique levels. Don't forget the game supports the N64 expansion pak.

I wish the controller was better suited to the game and the UKs N64 lack of Rgb output means it's not as great looking as it could of been.

davyk

Quote from: "Vadergb"
Quote from: "davyk"Another N64 game I believe is under appreciated is Doom 64.
Great call, I've only recently purchased it, it had a proper make over with unique levels. Don't forget the game supports the N64 expansion pak.

I wish the controller was better suited to the game and the UKs N64 lack of Rgb output means it's not as great looking as it could of been.

Pretty sure it doesn't support the expansion pak - this was early release so would have been out long before that was available.

You can save your progress to controller paks - maybe you have confused that for the expansion pak?

Your right about it being shame having no RGB. s-video is a decent compromise though.

zapiy

Quote from: "stonemonkeylives"Beetle Adventure Racing is a fun game.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HDn01E_aTJ0

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Great Shout...

Also Body Harvest??

davyk

zapiy

OMG, totally forgot about that game.. I could have smashed the cartridge loads of times lol..

davyk

Great music. I picked up the Dreamcast version which looks a bit better but the music isn't as good.

davyk

The N64 has 3 Tetris games. Two of them most people will know about. There is The New Tetris with the excellent Neill Voss soundtrack, attractive graphics and 4 player options. The other is Magical Tetris with Disney branding. I avoided that one but according to tetris forums it's actually a very nice variation of the game and is worth playing if you can get past the cute coat of paint.

Not many know about the 3rd game though. It was an early release and sadly Japan only. Tetris64 is a Seta game and it's probably the pick of the bunch if you prefer straight up Tetris. New Tetris has the square forming mechanic so it isn't a pure classic Tetris game.

Tetris64 has A, B and C game types , a Giga Tetris mode which throws in quadruple sized pieces that break up into smaller pieces when a line is formed that includes them, and a Bio tetris mode that uses a hard to find peripheral that clips to your ear and adjusts the game speed according to your pulse!!  The Bio tetris mode also throws weird shaped pieces at you.

Graphics wise it's OK. It looks a bit cheap in the menus but the actual game itself is pin sharp and really nice and clean and they feature old school pictures of buildings or landscapes as a background of decent quality. They dont obscure the pieces which is the important thing. Sound effects are pleasing and there's a choice of 4 laid back tunes or you can opt for music off.

All modes offer two player battle options but there is a Familiss mode that supports up to 4 players in battle mode. It's a wee bit different in that you can store your attacks up and then choose when and at who to release using the camera buttons. You also attack one line at a time so you can choose to send all lines to one person, or dish them out to as many players as you like. It's really well done.

Options are comprehensive - you can select piece colour schemes (inc a random scheme), where they appear at the top of the pit and perhaps most impressive of all - you can select rotation scheme, toggle wall kicks etc so that the game plays quite like a modern Tetris game. I can't remember if the game supports things like t-spins though. Go back to most older Tetris games and they feel a bit clunky because they are missing the subtlely different controls that modern games have. Not so with this game - highly impressive for a title of this age.

And despite it being a Japan only release and having a Japanese manual, everything in the game itself is in English!  

The only downside to the game is that even at top speed it isn't super difficult so for expert players the basic classic mode won't offer a big challenge. For everyone else though, and especially for those who play with others, this is a quite superb version of the game.

zapiy

Wow mate, I am part of the group who must have missed this game.. One i'll keep and eye open for.

Deckard

I like Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine. OK its a port but a cool game.

Ryuhi

I think flying dragon for n64 gets overlooked. I unfortunately do not have my 64 anymore but flying dragon was the fighting game that I got bought for by my parents when I was young. It was two games in one. One was a realistic fighter in 3d like tekken or virtua fighter (which for some reason had a 2d mode also :/) and another which was a 2d fighter with cartoonish characters. I honestly thought it was great. To me it plays exactly like virtua fighter in 3d mode. I enjoyed the SD mode but I preferred the 3d option as I preferred more realistic at the time. Here is a review of the game I found on YouTube. It focuses more on the Cartoon part of the game.

https://youtu.be/hDZDI3Zoy6o

zapiy