Underappreciated Sega Saturn Games

Started by zapiy, August 31, 2015, 17:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

Continuing my theme of threads for underappreciated games, this one is for the Sega Saturn

I will start with Astal

http://youtu.be/gD5XaRMShKo

There must be loads of games that never get appreciated like they should so whats yours.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Ben

The Saturn has to be the no. 1 console for this, because so many great games were JP only.  The problem is that almost none of them have been translated.  I'll just go with a couple of picks that are playable without a translation that don't normally make hidden gems lists for this console.

Astra Superstars - One of the best fighting games out there, it has fun characters that are all parodies of characters in other games.  It's beautiful to look at and has a great OST, too.

Super Tempo - Sequel to the Genesis platformer, it's JP only but playable.  It has a great OST and really beautiful sprites, it really shows off the 2D capability of the Saturn.

Street Fighter Zero 3 - I actually prefer the Saturn port of this one to the Dreamcast version, it's my favorite port of the Zero/Alpha games.

Cyber Speedway - A really underrated racer that feels like an F-Zero rip off, it has a great OST. 

TrekMD

I know very little about the Saturn.  I don't recall even seeing anything about it when it was launched (probably because I was too busy with post-graduate training at the time).  I do see games for it at retro shops but not too often.  Astal looks very interesting. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Ben

Quote from: "TrekMD"I know very little about the Saturn.  I don't recall even seeing anything about it when it was launched (probably because I was too busy with post-graduate training at the time).
Talking about this is a great way to start fights between Sega fans, but I wanted to pick up on this.  I'd say that was equally due to bad marketing on Sega's part as it was your being busy, the launch of that console was completely botched.  Basically, Sega was run as a multi-headed hydra with the Japanese, U.S. and U.K./European offices all being on different pages.  The MD, CD add on and 32x were all not particularly successful in Japan and the 32x bombed in the U.S. as well.  Sega pushed up the launch of the console, which meant it had few games for the first six months and little advertising.  Killing the 32x so early with shelves full of them angered U.S. retailers also, many of whom stopped selling Sega consoles altogether.

Here's a video that goes in depth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqx9Liby_uU

TrekMD

Hmm, very interesting.  Talk about a FUBAR'd launch!  I can honestly say that I do not remember ever watching any of those weird commercials either.

zapiy

Ben is probably correct that the Saturn had sooo many great Jap only releases its a shame most of us will never get to play them.. Having said that so of those games are also very weird lol.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

I guess there is no way to boot the system to play those games in non-Japanese consoles.

zapiy

No booting that I am aware of fella, obviously there is a bios hack but you need to open the system for that.

TrekMD

Since it has a CD drive, I was thinking that maybe something like what is done with the Dreamcast. 

zapiy

Be interested to see if that's the case myself. I remember searching for info on something like that a while back and could find nothing.

Ben

Quote from: "TrekMD"I guess there is no way to boot the system to play those games in non-Japanese consoles.
Actually, there is a really cheap and easy solution as long as you own the actual games (not CD-Rs like with the Dreamcast).  The Action Replay 4M Plus will make your console region free and let it boot JP games.  There are a couple of games that don't play well with it, Panzer Dragon Saga being one, but if you google there are Action Replay codes that will make them play nicely with it.  It works as a memory card, 4M expansion cart for games that use one, cheat device and lets your console boot JP region games.  Here's the one you want: http://www.amazon.com/Action-Replay-4M- ... XTYS0WWQ23

TrekMD

Ah, cool.  Figured there'd be a solution.  ;)

zapiy

Isgoed

That Astal game looks beautiful!

Nicely drawn 2d-games with great music never get old imo.

Unfortunately I've never owned a Sega Saturn and probably never will, as I have to many systems already which includes PS1 that also has very nice 2D-games.

Ben

The thing about the Saturn, isgoed, is that it is really a console for the 2D enthusiast.  I tried to pick a mix of 2D/3D with those four games, but the truth is that 2D platformers, shmups and fighters is where this console shines.  It is right up there with the AES/MVS/Neo Geo CD in that regard.  I don't know that it's worth investing in unless you are a diehard fan of those genres, or have a good enough grasp of Japanese to play the JRPG library as well.  It also has a decent number of exclusive racers if you're a fan of those, Manx TT Superbike is another underrated arcade port.

I dug around on Youtube, I wanted to post a couple of videos from those games:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_Cr8HP9EnQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWyBa7x1fjU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg-mRgsYTIo