New Atari 7800 Homebrew - Boom!

Started by TrekMD, June 05, 2015, 22:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

[align=center:3q21orh0][size=140]Forum member @Atarius Maximus  has released a new hombrew title for the Atari 7800:  Boom!  The game has been written on 7800basic and it is free to play.  Atarius also has made the code available for anyone who may want to hack it into other projects.  In his own words:  Please steal this code!

The basic gameplay is similar to Activision's Kaboom.   There are 5 levels that get progressively faster, once you're on level 5 the speed doesn't change.  There is no paddle support, use your joystick to move the bucket(s) back and forth.  Your bucket will wrap to the other side of the screen when you reach the edge, it makes it a bit easier to get to bombs on both edges of the screen.  You start with three buckets, if you miss a bomb you will lose one.  You get 10 points per bomb caught.  Once you've lost all 3 buckets you will go back to the title screen and your current score will be displayed.  [/size]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_fcPkkt0GU

[size=180]Development Thread[/size][/align:3q21orh0]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

It's pretty fun too. I wonder what folks will use the engine for in the future.

Atarius Maximus

No one has taken me up on my offer yet, but I'm hoping for a whole lot more games with RevEng's 7800basic in the future.  You may have already posted about it, TrekMD, but there is another game in development named "Graze" from AA user Mord that looks great... it's in the Homebrew forum at AA.

7800basic is amazing, and I'll be making another game in the future I'm sure, and I'll certainly share it here too. :)

TrekMD

Hopefully, someone does at some point take your offer.  ;) 

Greyfox

I loved Kaboom and this looks to be brilliant too, I hope that work continues pushing the generally unappreciated 7800 to its limits

bravo

RPC_GAMES

Ha, nice ! I still have and play Kaboom on my 130XE Cart (when I have time).  :4:

Papa

Looks like a big graphics upgrade over the VCS version.  Does it use the standard 7800 controllers or the VCS paddles?  It may be a first if it uses the paddles, as I'm not sure any other 7800 titles do!?! 
And all the Who's down in Whoville will cry
"OH $#IT!"

TrekMD

It uses the standard 7800 controller.  I think Atarius made it more as an experiment so people could use the code to create new projects.  He can say more about it since he does visit RVG as well.