Review of the Week - Zelda: Links Awakening

Started by TrekMD, March 20, 2015, 04:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

[align=center:38puk7la] Zelda]

Reviewed by Fin

[/align:38puk7la][align=center:38puk7la]

Let's change things around a little and let's check a game for a portable system, the Nintendo GameBoy/GBC.  Have you have played this game? What do you think? Would you recommend it?

Review]
1993 saw the release of Links Awakening, one of the best games on the Nintendo Game Boy and possibly one of the most innovative Zelda games to date. The game starts off after Zelda - A link to the past ,on the Super Nintendo, with Link travelling the world to further develop his fighting skills. Whilst out at sea, Link's ship is struck by lightning, knocking him overboard. Links awakens in a strange bed on an unfamiliar Island. After retrieving his sword he learns that the only way to leave the island is to collect 8 instruments to wake the Windfish, the islands sleeping guardian. All in all the storyline is very well paced, insuring every citizen of Koholint Island adds something to the plot. Links Awakening was the first game to bring side games to the Zelda franchise, including Fishing, "Rapid Rides" and "Trendy Game". It also introduced the use of an Ocarina, the dash jump, pieces of heart, item quests and many other features that are now ingrained into the Zelda world. Despite only taking 1.5 years to develop, the game is huge with well thought out detailed areas. The game play generally follows the Zelda ethos of questing, finding items, exploring dungeons and killing bosses. The music, although written by first time gaming composes, is very familiar to Zelda lovers and a joy in itself. There are a few oddities worthy of note, including the lack of Princess Zelda herself and the use of characters from the Mario universe, such as shy guys, Yoshi Dolls, Bow wows and Piranha Plants but these don't detract from the fun. All in all this game is an absolute must for any Game Boy owner, whether the original Game Boy version or the enhanced and expanded Game Boy Color version.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xzc35fVjJ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thdoE3ni8RM

[size=180]Review found here[/size][/align:38puk7la]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

wyldephang

Link's Awakening is one of my favorite Zelda games, actually. I was glad to see it got such a good score here. :)
- Ryan

zapiy

I like the review.. however i have never been a massive fan of Zelda games.. don't ask me why lol, I just never got into them.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Well, not every game has to appeal to everyone Zap.  I haven't played the Zelda games either. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...