Sega Mega CD Thread

Started by dcultrapro, April 25, 2012, 09:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcultrapro

So I was thinking about the Mega CD and have 1 big question in particular. Is Mega CD region free?

I had always wondered about this and I'm thinking it probably is but the mega drive isn't, so what happens? You can play a US Mega Drive game on a PAL Mega Drive + Mega CD but you can't play a US disc? was just interested in case I find a game I want cheap in the US online shops
Ultrapro on xbox live

TL

dcultrapro

bummer, ok so I wanted to ask this; and I apologise if its not a subject your meant to discuss, I have rom images for the Kega Fusion 364 emulator that does mega cd/32x and all other 8/16bit consoles by Sega, and it appears as though all the sega cd roms are image files.

Turns out there is a way you can burn them to work on your actual mega cd, and I was wondering if the Mega CD would need to be modded to read these burnt discs or would it read them ok and also would these discs be effected by region?
Ultrapro on xbox live

DreamcastRIP

Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

dcultrapro

lol, ok what does that mean? have I been a naughty boy? I figured as we are actively talking about long dead consoles/hardware I didn't think that it would be a controversial topic... is you sayin I is a filthy pirate? lol
Ultrapro on xbox live

TL

Mega CD will not play burned CD's unless its been modded.

Also we don't discuss such things here as its highly illegal  ;D

dcultrapro

riiiiight. ok well at least I've got that cleared up, just thought I'd ask, not sure what's illegal about it when its a nearly 20 year old console that's no longer in production. I could understand if I were asking about pirating on a current gen... anyway nevermind! I shant mention it again I just wondered if it was possible as I have the Emulator program ;)
Ultrapro on xbox live

TL

Quote from: "dcultrapro"riiiiight. ok well at least I've got that cleared up, just thought I'd ask, not sure what's illegal about it when its a nearly 20 year old console that's no longer in production. I could understand if I were asking about pirating on a current gen... anyway nevermind! I shant mention it again I just wondered if it was possible as I have the Emulator program ;)

Companies are very protective of their copyrights and if somebody happens to this being discussed openly on a forum then we could face legal action and get shut down. Only recently a SNES forum was shut down by Nintendo for just this.

dcultrapro

furry muff, my apologies  :-
Ultrapro on xbox live

zapiy

It's ok bud. Its a very fine line even in the world of emulators.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

dcultrapro

no worries

So has anyone tried Terminator on the Sega CD? It looks like a souped up genesis platformer with nice visuals and music, and I've heard good things. Work £17 would anyone say?
Ultrapro on xbox live

TL

Quote from: "dcultrapro"no worries

So has anyone tried Terminator on the Sega CD? It looks like a souped up genesis platformer with nice visuals and music, and I've heard good things. Work £17 would anyone say?

I have it and think its very good, its basically the same game as the cart version but with a ton more levels and a brilliant soundtrack. Thats a good price too as it rarely goes for less than £20, I was lucky to get mine from somebody on another forum for about £10.

Console Compulsive

Datel Electronics produced a cartridge add on for the mega CD called the Pro CDX which apparently lets you play import Mega CD games on the European units. They are fairly sought after and now sell for around £50-£75 on ebay but i'm not sure if it will allow for the screen resolution change from NTSC to Pal.

TL

Quote from: "Console Compulsive"Datel Electronics produced a cartridge add on for the mega CD called the Pro CDX which apparently lets you play import Mega CD games on the European units. They are fairly sought after and now sell for around £50-£75 on ebay but i'm not sure if it will allow for the screen resolution change from NTSC to Pal.

Nearly all TV's auto detect that.

Console Compulsive

All except for the one in my games room. lol  My old 21" CRT was still working perfectly when I got my LCD tv. So I thought after years of heavy use I would put it out to grass in the retro games room. 19 years old and still running perfectly  :D