Author Topic: Let's Compare - Virtua Fighter  (Read 1530 times)

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
Let's Compare - Virtua Fighter
« on: March 13, 2015, 02:20:36 AM »
Virtua Fighter is a 1993 fighting game created for the Sega Model 1 arcade platform by AM2, a development group within Sega, headed by Yu Suzuki. It is the first game in the Virtua Fighter series, and the first arcade fighting game to feature fully 3D polygon graphics. It has been ported to several platforms, including the Sega Saturn, Sega 32X and Microsoft Windows.

Gameplay:

The Virtua label indicates that the onscreen action takes place in 3D. The images were created using wireframe and flat-shaded quads. Beyond 3D, it retained the staple of multiple characters, each with their own distinctive moves.

The player faces all eight characters (including a duplicate of the chosen character) in a pre-determined order, followed by a fight with the game's boss, Dural. Each fight is a best-of-three match, and the player has three ways to win: knocking out the opponent, forcing him/her out of the ring, or having more health left when time runs out.

Unlike other fighting games of the early 1990s (such as Street Fighter II or Mortal Kombat), the game relies on a control stick and only three buttons, Punch, Kick, and Guard (block) although different situations and button combinations led to a vast variety of moves for each character. The game is highly regarded for its in-depth fighting engine and real world fighting techniques, and was considered revolutionary upon release.

Source:  Wikipedia

[align=center:3ois98f4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qutfy19cGb4[/align:3ois98f4]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline wyldephang

• View Profile
Re: Let's Compare - Virtua Fighter
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 19:15:28 PM »
I've never had the means to play this game. I don't have a 32X or a Sega Saturn, and the 2D Genesis version just isn't a good enough alternative. However, Virtua Fighter was one of my favorite games to play whenever I visited a friend who owned one of those consoles. I like how fast and responsive the controls are, which translates into hectic matches with a lot of button-mashing and combos. One of my favorite tricks was to lure an opponent to the edge of the stage and win by ring-out. ;) My single greatest moment of glory was beating my friend in a best-of-three match. I had figured out that his technique was to storm out of the gate with a flurry of punches, so I led him toward the edge of the arena, and when he came in for the kill, I jumped over him and landed a back kick which knocked him off the platform. I'm sure he wasn't too happy when he lost with a full bar of health.
- Ryan

Offline ArcadeAction

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 21:11:18 PM »
I really liked Virtua Fighter, Virtua Fighter Remix, and Virtua Fighter 2.

It's kind of awesome when you simultaneously KO them by clearing their health bar AND knocking them out of the ring in the same blow.

Sega always seemed to have very powerful arcade hardware that kept raising the bar. The color palette in the Virtua Fighter series, Virtua Racing and earlier Outrun were all great. At home I was more of a Nintendo owner, but in the arcades I had a lot of respect for Sega and really enjoyed playing their games.

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 21:33:07 PM »
I've never been a big fan of 3D fighting games, but I did always like the original Virtua Fighter. My jaw just about hit the floor the first time I saw it in an arcade, so I bought it when it first released for the 32X. Those large Meg cartridge games were expensive, and that was hands down the most I ever paid for a game at retail! I played the hell out of it though so totally worth it :113:

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 21:48:29 PM »
I never played this on the arcade but I do have the 32X version and I love it.  It's an awesome game and, when looking at the arcade version on the video, it does look pretty good in comparison. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline ArcadeAction

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 02:43:33 AM »
At the end of the life of the Sega Saturn, I remember you could get a new system with one or two controllers and a triple pack of games that included Virtua Fighter 2, Daytona, and Virtua Cop all for $50 at Walmart.

Offline WiggyDiggyPoo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 12:20:15 PM »
Dont see what business the GG and MS versions have calling themselve Virtua Fighter!  :113:

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 17:57:55 PM »
I don't remember ever seeing an Arcade version of this game sadly, that would have been awesome at the time. I did and still do have the 32X version here somewhere so on that basis i pick that lol.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline ArcadeAction

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 21:24:24 PM »
I've got the arcade for Virtua Fighter Remix. The backgrounds are simple compared to VF2, but the action, music and actually the announcer are pretty good I thought. I think there's a decent amount of strategy and the throw moves are especially fun. The 32x version is solid and fun to play. I thought overall the 32x had some fun stuff. The Genesis version is, yeah, almost an entirely different game than the arcade. But hey, they were fun for a bit too.

guest5638

Lets Compare Virtua Fighter
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 17:09:47 PM »
If two people who have been fireballed procreate, will the baby come out on fire?