Review of the Week - Pulseman Sega Genesis/MD

Started by TrekMD, February 22, 2015, 23:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

[align=center:1myluppn]Pulseman - Sega MegaDrive/Genesis

Reviewed by TrekMD

[/align:1myluppn][align=center:1myluppn]

Continuing the reviews of the week, let's look at a review from a revamped Sega MegaDrive/Genesis section.

Review]
In the year 1999 a mathematic biologist called Dr. Shakuei Yoshiyama created a female artificial life form called C-Life inside a computer system. The good doctor fell in love with C-Life and he entered the computer world to be with her. Their love resulted in the birth of a half-human half-C-Life child capable of jumping between both worlds. This child was known as Pulseman. Jump to the year 2015 and an evil scientist called Waruyama is trying to take over the world with his "Galaxy Gang." Only one can stand against Doc Waruyama's ambitions, Pulseman! With the assistance of his partner, Beatrice, Pulseman starts his mission to save the world. Pulseman is a unique platformer developed towards the end of the Genesis/MD lifecycle by Game Freak, the same company that went on to make Pokemon, Final Fantasy, and Dragon Quest. The game was originally released only in Japan, though it was available in the US through the Sega Channel. Pulseman has seven stages that take you to different locations in the world such as the Indian Forest, Las Vegas, and the Alaska Range. These stages have graphics that are appropriate to those areas but one of the must fun ones is Techno Park because it plays at Galaxy Gang's headquarters, which are located in an arcade! Controlling Pulseman is the key to learning this game (and it doesn't take long to learn), particularly in your handling of the Volteccer. The Volteccer transforms Pulseman into an energy ball that can bounce of walls and travel through electric wires. The graphics and sound in this game are exceptional, which fits with it being a late release. Colour, level design, and character animation are superb and the music is excellent. I highly recommend you get your hands on this one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtoBY2S2zzo

[size=140]Review found here[/size][/align:1myluppn]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

zapiy

What an awesome review fella.. got to say i must be going mad or i have never seen let alone played that game.. I must have been under a rock but thats a complete Sonic rip off is it not?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Glad you like the review.  I figured I'd make it a Review of the Week given how great the game is.  This game was released at the end of life of the Genesis/MD.  It's different than Sonic and I think it is even better because of the mechanism that let's you jump around like electricity, the Volteccer.  The game also pushes the system to its limits, I believe. 

zapiy

Yeah, i do remember the game now. Certainly never played it though, so thats something i need to remedy. :113:

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Ben

I responded in the reviews thread too, but I am 100% with TrekMD on this (great review, by the way).  This game is really a great example of what the MD could do; the music plays on the strengths of the console with a heavy metal/techno soundtrack that sounds great, the control is tight, the sprites are well animated with vibrant color and the gameplay is more complex than the Sonic games while still being managable and fast paced.  I think it may just be the best MD platformer.

TrekMD

Lorfarius

I was looking at picking this up a couple of weeks ago but sadly too expensive :(

zapiy

Yeah, I will keep an eye open for a bargain price but I don't hold up much hope of that.

Shadowrunner

You guys aren't kidding about the price of this game! Since it was only released on cartridge in Japan, all the PAL MD copies and Genesis copies floating around are repros. Generally repros aren't that expensive, but this game might be the exception!