Author Topic: Let's Compare - Earthworm Jim 1 & 2  (Read 1237 times)

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
Let's Compare - Earthworm Jim 1 & 2
« on: February 21, 2015, 04:53:03 AM »
Earthworm Jim 2 is a run and gun platform video game starring an earthworm named Jim in a robotic suit who battles evil. It is a sequel to the original Earthworm Jim, and the second and final game in the Earthworm Jim series developed by original creators Doug TenNapel, David Perry, and Shiny Entertainment. It was released in late 1995 and early 1996 depending on region and video game console, initially being released for the Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo, before being ported to many other consoles.

Source:  Wikipedia

[align=center:t2guz3jn]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swd1WtOyEiM[/align:t2guz3jn]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline Ben

• View Profile
Re: Let's Compare - Earthworm Jim 2
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 12:21:34 PM »
I think the Genesis/MD wins in terms of the color palette and the scrolling seems much smoother.  Depending on which version of the MD you had, the sound is either even or a slight edge to the SNES, I think.  Outside of that, they are (so far as I can see) identical, so I think the MD wins this one.  The Sega Saturn version of this game is actually my favorite, but that's not a fair comparison.   :21:

Offline wyldephang

• View Profile
Re: Let's Compare - Earthworm Jim 2
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 02:38:53 AM »
Concerning the Earthworm Jim games, I would give the edge to the Mega Drive/Genesis both times. I believe the game was designed with Sega hardware in mind, so it makes sense that it'd be best represented on that console. The Super Nintendo can push more colors on screen at once, and has a more versatile sound chip with multi-channel sampling. Despite this, I still believe the Sega versions are superior.
- Ryan

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
Re: Let's Compare - Earthworm Jim 1 & 2
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 04:02:54 AM »
I do prefer how these games on the Sega Genesis/MD.  Since the first game also getting mentioned, I'm including the comparison video of the original game here as well:

[align=center:231rqj5e]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlScyjEqFhw[/align:231rqj5e]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline wyldephang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 09:57:33 AM »
My opinions on that one are mostly the same, only I think the SNES comes closer to the Genesis in overall quality. One thing I've noticed is that the SNES is offering much more depth in the backgrounds. In Earthworm Jim, the sun peeks through the background when you move through the level, and in Earthworm Jim 2 there's more texture to the environment. I still prefer the Genesis versions for the gameplay. It's actually somewhat of a slippery feeling game, though you can't really detect it in the videos. It's not uncommon to overshoot a platform or to miss a jump. Thankfully, this doesn't typically lead to instant death as it would in a Castlevania or Mega Man game, so it's not all that frustrating, but it is something I've noticed. There are just so many iconic stages in the Earthworm Jim games that I tend to overlook its minor flaws. It's a quirky oddball of a game that really stands out among the sea of Japanese action-platformers. The humor is characteristically American--kind of reminiscent of the cartoons I watched as a kid--so it probably appeals to Westerners in a special way. One stage has you piloting a bathysphere underwater and riding on the back of a giant hamster. Another one is simply titled "Buttville," which shouldn't be funny at my age, but for some reason is.  :78:
- Ryan

Offline Ben

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 16:17:10 PM »
I probably should have mentioned, I really do like the Earthworm Jim games a lot.  These were some of my favorite platformers, it's too bad the franchise died out.

I'd also like to comment on wyldephang's point:
Quote from: "wyldephang"
Concerning the Earthworm Jim games, I would give the edge to the Mega Drive/Genesis both times. I believe the game was designed with Sega hardware in mind, so it makes sense that it'd be best represented on that console. The Super Nintendo can push more colors on screen at once, and has a more versatile sound chip with multi-channel sampling. Despite this, I still believe the Sega versions are superior.
This is one thing that aggravates about a lot of game reviewers today.  Just because a console - in theory - has more capability, it doesn't mean that you will always see it realized, and in some cases skilled devs can make the critics look silly.  This game is a great example - yes, the SNES has more colors.  But, who cares if the MD version makes the best use of the colors that it has?  And in the same way, yes, the SNES has a better sound chip in theory - but the devs of this game made great use of the MD.  I like showing people the Saturn running Duke Nukem 3D with an RGB cable for that reason; yes, in theory the PSX or N64 should have had the best port of that game, but they didn't.  If you're playing on real hardware, the Saturn had the best console port of Duke 3D in that era, even though the conventional wisdom says it shouldn't.

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 23:10:12 PM »
I have to agree, the MD/Genesis version looks slightly better than the SNES version.. could that be the video quality though??? Eitherway its a close run thing. I have to say the Gameboy version looks pretty good also.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 23:15:34 PM »
With been only exposed to the Snes back in the day, I guess you can guess which version I thought worked the best, but as a testament to how well Earthworm Jim was done on these 16-bit platforms it is near impossible to state which version actually out weighted the other, I think they are all superb in their own right and balanced exactly to fit their limitations on each console.

But for me it was the Snes version, I loved it and still love it, in fact as soon as I get a chance its going live on the JxD for another blast.

Offline Ben

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 00:37:40 AM »
Quote from: "zapiy"
I have to agree, the MD/Genesis version looks slightly better than the SNES version.. could that be the video quality though??? Eitherway its a close run thing. I have to say the Gameboy version looks pretty good also.
I think it is definitely a factor, the Sega consoles could do good RGB out without any mods (even the US versions), whereas the SNES had horrible RGB and the SNES Jr. has to be modded to even do RGB.  You won't see that in an emulator, which is why I appreciate shows like Game Sack that try to show the best version of a game on real hardware, with an unmodded console, when they do these comparisons.  I'm not sure with this video, but it looks like you are seeing the benefit of MD/Genesis RGB with the color palette.