Let's Compare - Tempest

Started by TrekMD, February 08, 2015, 20:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Tempest is a 1981 arcade game by Atari Inc., originally designed and programmed by Dave Theurer. The game is a tube shooter, a type of shoot 'em up where the environment is fixed and viewed from a three-dimensional perspective.  It was fairly popular and had several ports and sequels. The game is also notable for being one of the first video games with a selectable level of difficulty (determined by the initial starting level).

Source:  Wikipedia

[align=center:do3c7bej]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R17ph602cJw[/align:do3c7bej]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

zapiy

Loved the Amiga version but for old time sake i will go for the Atari Jag lol.. oh and a special mention for the GBA version. very impressive.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Can't go wrong with the good 'ol Jaguar's version.  ;)

davyk

The arcade original is one of my greatest arcade memories. It was total overload back then. Of course no version will have the incredible spinner control - even a good paddle won't quite match it because of the inertia the spinner control had. A straight up remake doesn't really translate all that well but Tempest 2000 is one of my favourite console games - even with the compromised control it is an example of how classic game updates should be done.

I first played the Saturn version and loved that but I also have the PS1 version which is different but equally excellent. I believe the PS1 version supports the NegCon controller but I haven't got around to trying that out. The NegCon might be a wee bit stiff for prolonged play but it's great that it's there as an option. I have a pair of NegCon's so it's just a case of me getting my finger out and finding them!

I would like to get a Jaguar to try the original but I'm guessing the PAL version runs slower as per usual?

I also have a Nuon but it's a model that has no control ports! Hard to believe! The terminals for the controllers are on the PCB, and I have a controller still in the box, but no copy of T3K. Found an article that shows how to hardwire the controller onto the PCB which I might tackle if I get myself a copy of T3K - on my lengthy to do list. Anyone know if the PAL Nuon games run at 50Hz? That will probably make my mind up if it will be worth bothering with.

TrekMD

davyk, there are spinner controllers (modified controllers) for the Jaguar that make the experience of T2K come close to the arcade.  Definitely better than playing with the standard controller! 

davyk

Had heard about those but I'm not sure if they are more like a traditional paddle than the spinner? The arcade cabinet's spinner was weighted - if you spun it and let go it would keep on spinning itself and would gradually come to rest. It was a brilliant control scheme because you could spin - then let go for a split sec and catch it again for super fast positioning - or just let it spin itself while you fired..

Maybe the modified controllers have that feature too - if they do - then it's another reason to get a Jaguar! If they don't - still worth getting! One day.

TrekMD

The ones I have do have that function, though not as much as the arcade one did. 

davyk

I'm actually really impressed that the mod has it all. I think getting a Jag and one of those is now above getting my Nuon sorted out on my  to do list.

Shadowrunner

Yes, Tempest on the Jag is awesome! I've always meant to pick up a rotary controller, someday I should really do that! I never played the game in the arcade, so I've never experienced how the game was intended to be.

davyk

Some legal wrangling between Atari and Jeff Minter. You would think if Atari valued the Tempest brand so much they would get their finger out and make a new game instead of carrying on like this......

http://pastebin.com/HHCZwyEd

zapiy

Like you said mate, if they were that concerned they should redo their own version and not Atari Fit lol.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC