Phillips Videopac & Magnavox Odyssey 2 Owners

Started by zapiy, April 19, 2012, 21:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gorf

I have two O^2's and I love them both.

I think in many cases the gfx are better than the Atari 2600's.

The flicker in many 2600 games sucks. Most of the O^2's games are very smooth and flicker free.
The sounds are definitely in need of help though.

I think the games are by far some of the best ideas ever.

UFO!
Freedom Fighters
Take the Money and Run
Attack of the Time Lord
KC Munchkin: the best Pac Man clone ever!
Invaders From Hyper Space: totally Kills...awesome game, especially with a bud
There are tons of really good games for this system. I actually started a few myself...never got around
to finishing them up though.
:(

TL

I never realised Super Cobra was released for the Videopac!

https://youtu.be/tsFx7K-hzjI

Or Demon Attack for that matter!

https://youtu.be/lKUzLXNJH40

TrekMD

Interesting how they have to scroll the screen on Super Cobra.  Demon Attack doesn't look bad.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Gorf

That must be an early version of Demon Attack...I have that for the O^2 and the sound
is better and the game play is much faster....maybe that was ran on an emulator. It's
definitely a better game than what that video portrays.

TL

onthinice

Great vids! Alien Invaders-Plus is tough. Also, one of the few games on the Odyssey 2 that gives the player more then one life.

TrekMD

Those cowboys do look better than the cowboys on the 2600!  Is the collision detection faulty on Alien Invaders-Plus or was it intentionally programmed that way?!

Gorf

Quote from: "TrekMD"Those cowboys do look better than the cowboys on the 2600!  Is the collision detection faulty on Alien Invaders-Plus or was it intentionally programmed that way?!

Nothing at all faulty. The bottom row are the invaders shields. They can't be destroyed.

TrekMD

Quote from: "Gorf"
Quote from: "TrekMD"Those cowboys do look better than the cowboys on the 2600!  Is the collision detection faulty on Alien Invaders-Plus or was it intentionally programmed that way?!

Nothing at all faulty. The bottom row are the invaders shields. They can't be destroyed.

Ah, ok.  They have better protection than the player then!  LOL

Gorf

Quote from: "TrekMD"
Quote from: "Gorf"

Ah, ok.  They have better protection than the player then!  LOL

Pretty much.

onthinice

I appreciate, that Phillips and Magnavox tried to make games that were different enough from Atari, Coleco and Mattel. War of Nerves proves that theory. I can't think of any other game that comes close.

Only so many ways you can change Space Invaders or Pac-Man, but still I give an A for effort.

TL

onthinice

Thanks Laird!!!! Sad to see the video end. Good reviews.  :113: