Author Topic: Let's Compare Maniac Mansion  (Read 1224 times)

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
Let's Compare Maniac Mansion
« on: November 20, 2014, 01:20:23 AM »
Maniac Mansion is a 1987 graphic adventure game developed and published by Lucasfilm Games. Initially released for the Commodore 64 and Apple II, it was Lucasfilm's foray into video game publishing. The game follows teenager Dave Miller as he ventures into a mansion and attempts to rescue his girlfriend from an evil mad scientist, whose family has been controlled by a sentient meteor that crashed near the mansion 20 years earlier. The player uses a point-and-click interface to guide Dave and two of his friends through the mansion while avoiding its dangerous inhabitants and solving puzzles.  Regarded as a seminal adventure title, Maniac Mansion was critically acclaimed; reviewers lauded its graphics, cutscenes, animation, and humor.

Source:  Wikipedia

[align=center:32vgetev]Let's Compare ( Maniac Mansion )[/align:32vgetev]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Compare Maniac Mansion
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 00:19:35 AM »
Not a game i ever got into, the PC one looks the best to me lol..
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline deKay

• View Profile
    • http://lofi-gaming.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 20:31:07 PM »
First time I ever played (or even heard of) Maniac Mansion was when I was on my school German exchange in the early 90s. My exchange partner had it for his C64. It took 25 years to load (from disk!) and was entirely in German.

Was so disappointed when I found there was no version for the Speccy or Megadrive, the only machines I owned at the time. A few years later when I'd got a NES it was sought out and bought. Loved it even more without the terrible loading times and actually being in English! Number of times I'd got "gehen" and "gaben" mixed up in Germany :)

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 21:11:07 PM »
That's cool deKay. I can see not missing loading times!  :)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 02:01:48 AM »
I've never played the game but it seems to be a big part of gaming history so some day I would like to try it.

Going off topic a bit, but I noticed there's a Kickstarter by the original creators of this game for a new game in this style. If you're a fan you might want to check it out :) https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thimbleweedpark/thimbleweed-park-a-new-classic-point-and-click-adv?ref=discovery

guest5363

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 09:03:35 AM »
Quote from: "Shadowrunner"
I've never played the game but it seems to be a big part of gaming history so some day I would like to try it.

Yeah at least for the loading times hehe! However it was the first point & click game I played/saw before I visited the arcade museum in Karlsruhe.

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 11:02:15 AM »
I remember a lot of people kicking up fuss on the Amiga scene when this appeared saying it was a gas, and a great adventure game, unfortunately like others here I never got to play this back in the day, I wasn't a huge point and click adventure man and having to listen to people harp on about this and Monkey Island left me out in the cold :20:, but I believe it's one of the best comedic style adventure games to appear on a home computer.

The best version for me would have to be the Original Amiga version, it might tidier on the PC version, but I love my pixels, so Amiga Version for me.

Offline JoeMusashi

• Asterisk...?
  • Global Moderator
  • Be happy, drink beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 12:53:55 PM »
I'm not a fan of Point and Click adventures so I've never really been drawn to this. As has already been mentioned, it does have a highly regarded reputation which I am aware of.

From seeing that video though, I do love the graphics and character animations, ha!