[BS006] New ZX Spectrum game: COUSIN HORACE

Started by Corporal Jonlan, October 01, 2014, 14:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corporal Jonlan

Hello everyone!

After many months of work, finally COUSIN HORACE is here, my new game for the Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48/128 - an epic adventure with the following main features:

• Five different chapters for a mix of platform, shoot-�em-up, puzzle solving and maze exploration.
  • An immersive plot illustrated by �Spectrumized� pictures and comic book-like in-between screens.
  • Comes in TZX (Biturbo-II fast loader) and TAP format.
  • Game and documentation immediately available in six different languages: Italian, English, French, German, Spanish and Portuguese.

But who is Cousin Horace, actually?

The idea came to me by looking at the cassette inlays of the versions of Horace games made for the Timex Sinclair 2068, the American clone of the Spectrum. The character portrayed on them bears very little resemblance to the one we all know and love, although the games themselves are indistinguishable from their Spectrum counterparts.

I then imagined such character not to be the British Horace, but his American cousin � incidentally going by the name of Horace as well � living his same adventures, or a sort of parallel life if you prefer, on the other side of �The Pond�. Hence COUSIN HORACE.

Each chapter poses a different challenge for the player, requiring different skills to be negotiated. By successfully ending each one of them (except for the last chapter, of course) the player will receive a code to enter after loading the next one in order to start it.

The game was developed with the help of several programming tools, among which La Churrera, Arcade Game Designer and Shoot-Em-Up-Designer.

Download it from my web site (link at the bottom of article)

Have fun!
Author of several Spectrum games, a fast tape loading scheme and the Spectrumpedia.

Shadowrunner

onthinice

zapiy

That looks absolutely fab, I can see why you used many different game creators. Getting a server error here on that link.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Corporal Jonlan

:113: Thank you all folks, I really hope you will enjoy the game.

Quote from: "zapiy"Getting a server error here on that link.

The link should bring you to my website; anyway, try the direct link to the file and please let me know here if you still have problems downloading it:

http://www.alessandrogrussu.it/zx/Cousin.zip
Author of several Spectrum games, a fast tape loading scheme and the Spectrumpedia.

zapiy

It does, maybe it was something with my iphone when i tried earlier.. All ok now. :113:

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

JoeMusashi

This looks pretty cool. I like the little anecdote behind Cousin Horace' conception.

I'll certainly be trying it out. Good luck with it  8)

AmigaJay

Looks very good! Will have a go on this sometime, must rekindle my Speccy love!
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

zapiy

I have been playing it all morning, very accomplished game.. Highly reccommended..

Corporal Jonlan

Thanks again! 

But wait a minute... There is an important message:

[size=120]Please note:[/size]

a bug that prevented the end-of-game message to be displayed has been discovered in Chapter 5.

The error has been dealt with, but please download the ZIP file again from my website.

Sorry for the inconvenience!   :77:

Many thanks to Albert "DeusEx" for bringing this issue to my attention.

zapiy

zapiy

@corporal jonlan great to see your game featured in the latest retro gamer mag.

Corporal Jonlan

zapiy

Wallop. I would have happily got you a copy and posted it to you fella. Congrats. A great honour.