Let's Compare Flashback

Started by TrekMD, September 09, 2014, 05:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Flashback is a 1992 science fiction cinematic platform game developed by Delphine Software of France and published by U.S. Gold in United States and Europe, and Sunsoft in Japan.  The game features gameplay similar to that of 1989's Prince of Persia. Each level spans a large number of non-scrolling screens, nearly all of which feature multiple levels of altitude requiring the player character Conrad to jump, grab onto ledges, climb, use elevators, and drop onto lower levels. Conrad exhibits realistic human running speed and jumping ability, as well as realistic weakness he will die if he falls from too great a height.

Source: Wikipedia

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Cryptic33

I find it very difficult to be objective about these comparisons though I do find it interesting to see the different machines in operation. For me, given how long ago it was, the MS DOS version seemed surprisingly good overall with the Phillips CD version looking quite polished. The 3DO version is also worthy of note. However, the Amiga version was typical of many computers back then with blank and black pauses between screens. That said, all of the machines featured seem, to me at least, to do a fairly good job with some looking more cartoonish than others in the opening cinematic sequence.

Finally, although I am a big fan of the Jaguar, I would say the cat does a good job of the animation and it looked smooth in gameplay. However, I have read others comments about this game being difficult to control but that criticism could be leveled at any system and is very subjective. I recently aquired this title for my Jag and am looking forward to trying it out.

In conclusion, apart from graphical differences and slight speed differences, the game seems to have been well programed or ported, to each system and despite my personal preference, I was impressed by the MS DOS version the most simply because it holds it's own against newer, faster technologies.
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

AmigaJay

Well the DOS version should have been the most advanced technology, just as pc's are today, money buys you the best of...
But anyway, dont forget these were taken on emulators, the Floppy version for DOS has the same blank loading screens as the Amiga, dosbox just loads through them quicker.
For me the original Amiga version does it for me, though as you say when you play the original its hard to prefer other versions unless they improve alot, though most Flashbacks are much the same.
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

Cryptic33

Quote from: "AmigaJay"Well the DOS version should have been the most advanced technology, just as pc's are today, money buys you the best of...
But anyway, dont forget these were taken on emulators, the Floppy version for DOS has the same blank loading screens as the Amiga, dosbox just loads through them quicker.
For me the original Amiga version does it for me, though as you say when you play the original its hard to prefer other versions unless they improve alot, though most Flashbacks are much the same.
Yeah, I can't speak from experience as I haven't played the game yet. I also note that the Amiga was a damn fine machine in it's day so I am not surprised you rank that as your favourite, many will agree with you I'm sure.

The screen loading wouldn't bother me too much in play but I picked up on that here because we see the various incarnations one after the other and so, small differences stand out. Thanks for explaining some of the subtleties.

I'm glad you state that all versions are similar as that was the impression I was getting from the video. Other games can vary a great deal. It will be interesting to see what others think.
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

zapiy

Yeah this is another difficult one, really hard to pick one out as a clear winner.. Nice to see a decent version for the Jag though.

I would like to find a CDi version as well. :113:

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

AmigaJay

Quote from: "zapiy"Yeah this is another difficult one, really hard to pick one out as a clear winner.. Nice to see a decent version for the Jag though.

I would like to find a CDi version as well. :113:
For most CDi owners Flashback is an awful unplayable mess with the cdi remote, you need the joypad for this game trust me!
Old School Gamer Since 1982 - Creator of various gaming websites and blogs 1998-2018

JoeMusashi

I've only ever played the SNES and Amiga versions of this but they're quite similar. I do have to say that I love this game and fondly remember playing it the first time, not knowing much about it. We rented it from a video rental van.

Looking at that video it appears that the versions are very similar on all formats but why does it sound like he's wearing high heels in the 3DO version? Not so comfortable running around in those, I would have thought...

TrekMD

Quote from: "JoeMusashi"... why does it sound like he's wearing high heels in the 3DO version? Not so comfortable running around in those, I would have thought...
Maybe the character is having gender identity issues on that version!   :21:

JoeMusashi

:21: Perhaps the flashbacks he was having we're not what we all assumed...

Cryptic33

Quote from: "JoeMusashi":24: I'm looking forward to playing this game on my Jag :113: (yes, and reviewing it also - where does the time go?).

TrekMD

Here's another video comparing various versions of Flashback...

onthinice

Some very nice ports. Having never played Flashback makes me feel like I missed out on a good game.