SIO2BT: Atari XE Cassette Tape Loading Bluetooth Add-On

Started by TrekMD, August 31, 2014, 23:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

[align=center:2j8wad48][/align:2j8wad48]

[align=center:2j8wad48][size=140]Over the last few years you will have noticed a range of gaming devices and applications being made available to replace the dated cassette tape medium – such as tapDancer, MP32C64 and SpeccyTape. The latest to join these modern alternatives to pressing play on tape is the SIO2BT, a bluetooth equivalent for the Atari XE range of home computers.

Although the device and software is yet to be released, the SIO2BT is a small accessory which expands the system's connectivity with bluetooth, through the back of the computer. From here, SIO2BT users will be able to send game code over the air through a dedicated Android app, straight into the Atari XE – all as if a tape was actually present and loading.

While no release date or cost is known for the SIO2BT as of yet, the device holds plenty of promise for fans of Atari's 8-bit home computer range.[/size][/align:2j8wad48]

[align=center:2j8wad48]SIO2BT[/align:2j8wad48]

Source: Retro Collect

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

onthinice

This is great. Nice to see the Atari 8-bits still getting some action.

TrekMD

Agree!  And this looks like a very useful add-on.

zapiy

The dev that goes into this stuff really is amazing.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

retromod

Finally it is an ordinary bluetooth to serial adapter. The only culprint is to find the right speed to not overrun the system and to implement the SIO handling correctly (timing). By using a MCU for $1 this job is low hanging fruit as the bluetooth adapter already handles all communication. I personally hate to modify the OS to handle a dedicated device but this seems to be required here to properly handle the adapter (according to the project log file). You also can't use other devices on the SIO bus while using the BT because there are interferance with the faster I/O.

The only value here is the port of the aspectQ software to Android. It offers to simulate any Atari device. So if you use a SIO2USB it is quite nearly the same (but with cable).

My personal favorite is here a SIO/NET bridge I saw at friends currently working on it. A small $20 Linuxsystem with a size of about 6cm x 6cm handles SIO to Atari and uses modern protocols like SMB, HTTP to send requests to standarized components like NAS, Webservers and network printers. A builtin OSD menu offers the configuration options. So printing something directly to a network laser or store data on a NAS is possible. It will be an internal solution with hookup to the power, sio plug and AV output. So more compliant to regulation handling (must be finally verified by their lawyers if they really plan to sell it).

The problem of the SIO2BT solution is finally: it is not allowed as external device requires WEEE certification and FCC Compliance most cheap bluetooth devices do not have (I know that from my bluetooth joystick project). I don't know why this is ignored by the guys specially as they are located in germany. So offering it is quite dangerous within europe. as they have business intension it requires a commercial website and tax number. The only chance is to offer an assembly kit or simple release the schematics and software. But I'll bet they illegally start to build it in larger quantities as projects in the past.
http://www.konsolen-mod.de for mod showroom and configurator

Antiriad2097

This might be a silly question, but 'why?'

Why use Bluetooth for tape? Would it not just be easier to connect the headphone socket to tape input via cable and have a player app run tape file as normal?

Or is this just a 'because we can' novelty project?

retromod

Quote from: "Antiriad2097"This might be a silly question, but 'why?'

Why use Bluetooth for tape? Would it not just be easier to connect the headphone socket to tape input via cable and have a player app run tape file as normal?

Or is this just a 'because we can' novelty project?

It is not limited to tape. The project offer to connect to a remote computer (despite smartphone or pc, raspberry etc) running Atari hardware device simulation. The problem is you may need to modify your bios to handle the speed of the BT device and you can't handle other high speed devices on the SIO bus while you are using the BT device.
http://www.konsolen-mod.de for mod showroom and configurator

bogstandard

I'm a little under the weather so I'm sure I've missed something.  I didn't see anything that says this can also "write" to tape files.  Unless it can (write) this doesn't seem better than saving a tape to an MP3 player and playing that back via an audio jack.

Cryptic33

Fascinating stuff though, I feel, it is more geeky than practical.
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

avick

Definitely geeky, but it smacks of making something for the sake of it - as has been pointed out, it's easier to use an audio jack with an MP3 track.

bogstandard

My poor mans alternative for the Starpath Supercharger is a PSP.    Got some of my own Atari 2600 games in my music playlist :p

TrekMD

Quote from: "theloon"My poor mans alternative for the Starpath Supercharger is a PSP.    Got some of my own Atari 2600 games in my music playlist :p

You know, I've never used an emulator for the 2600 on the PSP.  Where did you get it?