Review of the Week - Plok - SNES

Started by zapiy, August 04, 2014, 20:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapiy

[align=center:2y1bjs73]PLOK - SNES

Reviewed by Davyk

[/align:2y1bjs73][align=center:2y1bjs73]

This is a new feature here at RVG, we want to know if you have played this game, you thoughts, would you recommend it?

Review]
This is yet another example of the rich seam of platformers you can find on the SNES if you look past the Mario games. This is a gorgeous game with "Yellow Submarine" inspired visuals and a stupendous Tim Follin soundtrack that has lots of nice ideas. The main one of these being the fact that the main character Plok can throw his limbs at enemies and retrieve them from coat hangers in certain levels too! There are different types of levels; straight "get to the end" linear ones and also bug hunts in which you have to find a set number of enemies to dispose of before going to the exit. Throw in a pile of boss fights and a set of brilliant prequal sepia toned levels, that tell the story of Plok's grandpa, and you have a pretty substantial game and it is a absolute sin that this didn't get a sequel. The game is full of charm, one of best examples of this being the different costumes that Plok can wear that behave as power-ups. The soundtracks that accompany these costumes are quite brilliant, from Western tunes to a take-off of the Rocky theme, they really add to the experience of the game. What makes this game a bit cruel though is that there is no progress save and not even passwords, so it has to be done in one sitting. There are shortcuts that make this feasible but the high level of charm is accompanied by a pretty steep challenge so this will last you and nowadays this old-school mechanic will frustrate many if not played via an emulator. Still quite a brilliant platformer though. 

http://youtu.be/DJhqBKTOF5E

Review found here[/align:2y1bjs73]

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

I don't have an SNES, so I can't comment about the gameplay from experience.  The game does look fun and it certainly has very unique characters.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

I've never played the game but it does look like fun. Nice review  :)

zapiy

I am like you guys, never played this but I aim to pick up the Review of the Week games that I don't own.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Greyfox

Yes, I had this back in the day..created by the Pickford Brothers (Ste Pickford's Interview here), for Software Creations accompanied by the incredible sound track written by Geoff & Tim Follin, Plok is a strange little character involves him using his unattached limbs and feet as weapons , so four shots maximum from Plok and the aim of the game is to traverse the lands for missing flag from his house..it was a wee bit tough in the later stages but it was very well programmed and the graphics are beautiful in places, I would recommend this game highly if you love tough plat-formers with great bonus stages..excellent stuff..but never finished mind..as it's a plok in the arse!!

but again the Music is to die for, the title tune and Beach tune are my favorite! :113:

onthinice

I remember this being a game on my want list. But since it was a 1994 game it probably dropped off my gaming radar after its release. Sega still had me hooked at this time. Shame I never played it either.