Let's Compare Yie Ar Kung Fu

Started by TrekMD, July 13, 2014, 18:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Yie Ar Kung-Fu is a 1985 fighting game developed and published by Konami.  The game features the protagonist Oolong, controlled by the player, to fight all the martial arts masters to win the title of "Grand Master" and honor the memory of his father. The game was ported to various home systems and here is the result...

[align=center:opq8xura]Let's Compare ( Yie Ar Kung Fu )[/align:opq8xura]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

[align=center:bdjjk3pp]Sad to see he missed out the excellent Atari 8-bit version  :20:

yie ar kung fu atari 8bits

And he also missed out the Commodore 16 and Plus/4 version too:

Commodore 16/Plus4 - Yie Ar Kung Fu - Longplay[/align:bdjjk3pp]

TrekMD

That Atari 8-bit version looks very good!  It does look like the arcade.  I was very disappointed with the Genesis/MD homebrew as it took its inspiration from the Famicom port and not the actual arcade game.  The Genesis/MD would have had no issue recreating that arcade game.

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"That Atari 8-bit version looks very good!  It does look like the arcade.  I was very disappointed with the Genesis/MD homebrew as it took its inspiration from the Famicom port and not the actual arcade game.  The Genesis/MD would have had no issue recreating that arcade game.

Yeah, same as. I never even knew that version existed though! I wouldn't be surprised if they just hacked the MSX version and updated the graphics a bit as the Master System is basically an updated version of the MSX hardware (which was also used in the ColecoVision and Sega SG-1000) and of course the Mega Drive is backwards compatible with the SMS.

TrekMD

That's quite possible.  I wish they had created a real port of the arcade, though.

bogstandard

Don't forget the Sega Genesis homebrew version:
http://devster.proboards.com/thread/262

It was mad in the BASIC compiler called Basiegaxorz that dra600n is graciously making tutorials for :)

Greyfox

This was a wacky title back in the day and wasnt a huge fan, but its an arcade classic none the less, so it only fitting that the Atari 8-bit get a release , even if it was years later :)

TrekMD

Quote from: "theloon"Don't forget the Sega Genesis homebrew version:

It was mad in the BASIC compiler called Basiegaxorz that dra600n is graciously making tutorials for :)

Is this the same version on the video?  They include a homebrew Genesis version.

bogstandard

Quote from: "TrekMD"
Quote from: "theloon"Don't forget the Sega Genesis homebrew version:

Is this the same version on the video?  They include a homebrew Genesis version.

My mind is blown!  I completely glossed over the first video!!  Thank goodness I wasn't driving any heavy machinery yesterday :p