Centron 3D - New Atari XL/XE Homebrew

Started by TL, June 29, 2014, 16:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

[align=center:8y0qojcu]

[size=140]Welcome to Centron 3D, a brand new and exciting game for the Atari 8-bit home computers! There are still thousands of Atari users in the world today that still own and use their Atari 8-bit computers and so RPC Games decided to produce a new and exciting game for these machines. They have introduced a brand new game with a sophisticated multi-colour graphics mode called CMode 72 that goes far beyond what anyone thought was possible. This allows 72 colours to be displayed on screen simultaneously, flicker free, with animated sprites and backgrounds![/size]

[size=140]Welcome Centron ! So, you want to play a game? Hmmm, ok! De-Rez as many coloured spheres as you can with your De-Rezonizer before your timer reaches zero! Avoid obstacles, mines and enemy ships as they have been programmed to destroy you. You have 23 levels of chaos and madness with full colour graphics, 4 channel sound and extreme excitement. Can you make it through all 23 levels? Hahahahaha, We shall see! So, if you have an Atari 8-bit home computer stored away in your home, it's time to get it out of storage and power it up because it's time to play CENTRON 3D!!![/size]

[size=140]Centron 3D will be available for the XL and XE machines with a minimum of 64k of memory (128k preferable) and a 1050 Dual Density or XF551 Disk Drive. Although the game has been tested on emulators, RPC have found that the colour palette and hardware timing is not 100% accurate, so they won't be supporting
emulators, although Centron 3D should run ok on them. Centron 3D has been beta tested on real unexpanded hardware, both the Atari 800XL and Atari 130XE with 1050 and XF551 Floppy Disk drives. You can order your new Atari game, Centron 3D, after the launch date -> 7th July 2014[/size]

[size=240]OFFICIAL WEBSITE![/size]

[/align:8y0qojcu]

TrekMD

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Greyfox

Amazing over 30 years later, people just keep stunning us with what this amazing 8bit is capable of 

Simply just brilliant  :113:

zapiy

Looks fantastic.. Have to agree what continues to be achieved.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

I've invited the developer to join RVG.  Hopefully they do and give us more insight into the game's development and any future plans they may have. 

rush6432

Looks like on AA they were trolled for proposing a port of this on the jaguar. Figures....

Cryptic33

Quote from: "TrekMD"I've invited the developer to join RVG.  Hopefully they do and give us more insight into the game's development and any future plans they may have.
Good idea, that games looks pretty darn good from where I am sitting ;)
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

TL

I am really looking forward to seeing what this game is all about, it has the potential to be the most impressive A8 game since Space Harrier.

TrekMD

I am trying to image what it would look like on the Jaguar if it was upgraded to take advantage of the system's capabilities. 

Cryptic33

Quote from: "The Laird"I am really looking forward to seeing what this game is all about, it has the potential to be the most impressive A8 game since Space Harrier.
High praise indeed. These are exciting times we live in :)

Quote from: "TrekMD"I am trying to image what it would look like on the Jaguar if it was upgraded to take advantage of the system's capabilities. 
Please don't tease us TrekMD, many games would be greatly enhanced by the power of the Jag but few will ever be released. :/
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

RPC_GAMES

Hi Guys, thanks for your interest in Centron 3D. We have worked very hard on this project.
It's only been 3 weeks since we started and it usually take a few months to create a great game
and we are only a 4 person business, well only 2 of us created Centron 3D.
Myself and one of my younger employees.

I'm the 6502 programmer and spent many nights working late to get this finished and I'm quite pleased
with the end result.  I can say we did run out of memory a few time so we had to cut back on some
graphics and anims but still it's a great game to play.

I wanted to have as much colour as I could get and the standard Atari graphics modes just wasn't enough,
so I create a new graphics mode called CMODE72.  This mode allows 72 colours on screen anywhere.
Think of it as a graphics mode with 72 different coloured pens. So you could do this COLOR 35:PLOT 10,10 : COLOR 60: DRAWTO 20,20. The colour palette is on our website www.retropc.com.au

What this also means is that software sprites can have up to 72 colours in them.  Think of it as a low res VGA
mode. Resolution is 80x48x72 colours. We tried the higher rez's but with the game specs we instantly ran
out of memory so I had to use 80x48. We also want Centron 3D to run on everybody's 8-bits with 64k and above.
It was totally impossible to create Centron 3D for the 600xl with only 16kram so 64k was our goal.

Oh, playing Centron 3D on an old CRT monitor may flicker. We are using an LCD TV which double buffers the video causing no flicker at all. In fact most LCD T'V's today have double buffer video.
Alterria (Atari Emulator) has a feature called FRAME BLENDING. It works the same way as LCD T.V's.
We are not recommending playing Centron 3D using an old CRT monitor or TV. We haven't tested it on a CRT
due to not have one to test with. Those CRT screens are just to old now.

Thanks again for your support and hope you guys like Centron 3D.

It should be available in a few days. You can order on our website after 7th July 2014.

Pete
Manager
RPC-Games! Australia

Cryptic33

TL

Are you planning to do a cartridge release of this? If so I will buy that, not interested in disk games really as I always use my XEGS to play A8.

RPC_GAMES

Hi THE LAIRD: No sorry. Centron 3D is only available on Floppy Disk and Digital download.

You can play it on Alterria although the colours and timing are incorrect but playable.

Pete

TL

Quote from: "RPC_GAMES"Hi THE LAIRD: No sorry. Centron 3D is only available on Floppy Disk and Digital download.

You can play it on Alterria although the colours and timing are incorrect but playable.

Pete

Well if the digital version will work from my Atari Max flash cartridge then all is good. Otherwise I will probably give it a miss.