Let's Compare Fantasy Zone

Started by TrekMD, June 27, 2014, 13:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Fantasy Zone is an arcade game released by Sega in 1986 which was ported to a variety of systems. The player controls a sentient spaceship named Opa-Opa who fights nonsensical invader enemies in the planets of the Fantasy Zone.  In each level, a given number of ships must be destroyed before a boss appears.  Defeating this boss then takes the player to the next level.  This game has unique visuals with pastel colors and some rather peculiar enemies.  So, how do the home versions compare? Let's find out...

[align=center:3ol7o6zb]Let's Compare ( Fantasy Zone )[/align:3ol7o6zb]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Shadowrunner

I really like Fantasy Zone and all the versions shown are pretty good. I have the Sega Classics Collection for the PS2 with it on and it's a great version!

bogstandard

I'm pretty sure I have the NES version as I collect unlicensed games and consoles.  I enjoy the sheer irony of a Sega game on a Nintendo platform.

..of course, now that I'm older, I realise that many companies I thought were bitter rivals were much less so in other parts of the world.

TrekMD

I have the NES version, which is pretty good.  I'd love to get the Mega Drive version but it'll have to be a conversion for the Genesis since the game was never released in the US for the console.  Time to search on Ebay...

davyk

Only ever played the Saturn version which is excellent. Would be interested in other versions.
Sent from my RM-914_eu_euro1_280 using Tapatalk

TrekMD

I was able to find a conversion for the Genesis on Ebay.  It's a repro coming from Japan, so it'll take at least a couple of weeks to arrive.  Looking forward to it.

Carlos

I love this game, it's so surreal and from the same universe as Space Harrier! "Welcome to the Fantasy Zone, Get ready!"

I have it for the PS2 and on Mame. I play it quite often but suck at it on a major scale.

TL

I have never seen this game in the arcades, the first time I played it was actually on the Sega Master System and I loved it. I must have spent ages playing it round my friends house, was my favourite game on the system at the time.

I later played the PCE version and own the Mega Drive game, Super Fantasy Zone, which is excellent. The game is basically Defender with cute graphics, no bad thing at all!

I have to say though, from watching that video, that the MSX version is awful! Not only only does it look horrible with bad colour choices and bland flickering sprites, but the scrolling is just horrendous!

Carlos

Quote from: "The Laird"I have never seen this game in the arcades, the first time I played it was actually on the Sega Master System and I loved it. I must have spent ages playing it round my friends house, was my favourite game on the system at the time.

I later played the PCE version and own the Mega Drive game, Super Fantasy Zone, which is excellent. The game is basically Defender with cute graphics, no bad thing at all!

I have to say though, from watching that video, that the MSX version is awful! Not only only does it look horrible with bad colour choices and bland flickering sprites, but the scrolling is just horrendous!

I only ever saw this in an amusements once at a caravan park , But I was sure it was in a Jamma Cabinet, so maybe a bootleg. I really like the game, the shop element is similar to Iron man stuart racing where you purchase power ups for the next level. Needless to say that they were a waste of time for me.

Maybe a good way to describe this game is as Defender drawn by Walt Disney.