Touchdown Challenge - New Atari 2600 Homebrew

Started by TL, June 21, 2014, 12:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

[align=center:2gowkywt]

[size=140]After playing Kickoff on his iPhone it inspired AtariAge member Atarius Maximus to make a similar, simple football game. The object is to run past the defenders and score a touchdown.  The pattern changes when you score.  Most of the players run slowly down the field, but there is one who will relentlessly chase you. If you get tackled, the score resets. The game was programmed using Batari Basic.[/size]

[size=140]He only spent about ~4 hours on this game as a proof of concept, but has since given it more development time as he had fun with it. He has now made several revisions of the game, fixed a lot of bugs and added sound too. He has also increased the difficulty a bit too as the original game contained tactics that made it far too easy to score![/size]

[size=140]You can read more about the development of this game in the thread over at AA, where you can also take a look at the different revisions of the game and grab the instructions. The game is available to download for free to use with emulators and real hardware via a flash cartridge.[/size]

[size=240]DOWNLOAD HERE![/size]

[/align:2gowkywt]

TrekMD

That looks pretty good! Atarius is here now too, so maybe he'll comment about the game.  :)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Atarius Maximus

Quote from: "TrekMD"That looks pretty good! Atarius is here now too, so maybe he'll comment about the game.  :)  It's a complete game and is kind of fun, but I've been focusing on my latest 7800 adventure game project lately.  I recently discovered 7800basic and made a 7800 version of this game too.  You can see that version here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/226181-touchdown-challenge-my-first-7800basic-game/.

TL

Quote from: "Atarius Maximus"
Quote from: "TrekMD"That looks pretty good! Atarius is here now too, so maybe he'll comment about the game.  :)  It's a complete game and is kind of fun, but I've been focusing on my latest 7800 adventure game project lately.  I recently discovered 7800basic and made a 7800 version of this game too.  You can see that version here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/226181-touchdown-challenge-my-first-7800basic-game/.

I actually keep meaning to post a thread for the 7800 version but keep forgetting!  :79:

Atarius Maximus

Quote from: "The Laird"

I actually keep meaning to post a thread for the 7800 version but keep forgetting!  :79:

Ha, no worries Laird.  I appreciate you posting about my games at RVG.

bogstandard

I keep expecting Touchdown Challenge to be a 2600 game that uses exactly 6 playfield pixels to represent the entire game.. er, then I remember Atarius Maximus made it.  Looks like a freakin' commercial game!  I'm going to be playing catch-up for quite a while :)

TrekMD

Hey Atarius, thanks for posting that.  I've tried the 7800 game and it looks great! 

Atarius Maximus

Thanks TrekMD.  Over at AA on the 7800 programming forum you can also download a soccer / international football version of the game I made for gambler172, as well as a few others from him.  Maybe I should have called this American football challenge?  Why did we have to be the only country in the world that uses 'football' for an entirely different game? :)

TrekMD

Quote from: "Atarius Maximus"Why did we have to be the only country in the world that uses 'football' for an entirely different game? :21:

Atarius Maximus

Quote from: "TrekMD"Hey Atarius, thanks for posting that.  I've tried the 7800 game and it looks great!

You're too kind, loon. You've made some amazing stuff too, and still get a kick out of drunken pooper. :)  I've always liked to try and push the limits of what's possible with bB, with the definite exception of Gate Racer.

Atarius Maximus

Quote from: "TrekMD"
Quote from: "Atarius Maximus"Why did we have to be the only country in the world that uses 'football' for an entirely different game? :21:

Ha.  The metric system still confounds me when I travel internationally. :40:

TrekMD

Ha.  The metric system still confounds me when I travel internationally. :40:

1.6 km = 1 mile  ;)

TrekMD

Quote from: "TrekMD"Hey Atarius, thanks for posting that.  I've tried the 7800 game and it looks great!

You're too kind, loon. You've made some amazing stuff too, and still get a kick out of drunken pooper. ;)

Atarius Maximus

You're too kind, loon. You've made some amazing stuff too, and still get a kick out of drunken pooper. ;)

That I did.  Still getting used to the forum differences from AA.  For some reason I want to click on the quote button at the bottom of a post, and on this forum it's at the top.  I'll pay more attention in the future.

TrekMD

Yes, the forum software is different.  No worries, practice makes perfect.  :)