Author Topic: Airball - New Sega Dreamcast Homebrew  (Read 2265 times)

Offline TL

• View Profile
Airball - New Sega Dreamcast Homebrew
« on: June 11, 2014, 14:42:38 PM »
[align=center:3babs05o]

[size=140]Airball is an isometric arcade adventure that was released by Microdeal for the Dragon 32/64, Atari ST, Amiga, PC DOS, Atari 8-bit and Apple IIgs. It was also much later ported to the Game Boy Advance and Android. It was recently discovered that a version for the NES was under development, but cancelled. However, several partially complete prototype cartridges were found and reproductions have been made available from RetroZone. Now the game has been converted to the Sega Dreamcast and made available to download for free![/size]

[size=140]The player begins every round atop inflating stations. These inflating stations, which are scattered throughout the arenas, also act as checkpoints. Remaining atop an inflating station for too long will cause the player to burst. A bar gauge at the bottom of the screen allows the player to monitor their air level. Navigating the levels is accomplished with the directional buttons and a jump button. The view is isometric, which can often make complicated movements (such as jumping across gaps or weaving through obstacles) difficult. Points are gathered in the form of gems that appear randomly in rooms. Players pass through the gems for collection. Airball can ascend stairs by jumping. The surrounding spikes, one of many obstacles found in the game, cause the player to burst. The yellow bar is the amount of air left in the ball, and the three balls in the lower left of the screen indicate the remaining amount of lives. The isometric projection is very visible in this image.[/size]

[size=240]DOWNLOAD HERE![/size]

Dreamcast SD Compatible: Airball[/align:3babs05o]

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
Re: Airball - New Sega Dreamcast Homebrew
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 21:49:30 PM »
Good stuff!  It does look very nice.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 13:20:39 PM »
I like the look of that. Will have to grab it for a little bash on it.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 23:27:25 PM »
I remember when this appeared on the ST and thought wow, these games sure beat what my Atari 130XE was turning out, yet it got an Airball release in 1988 on the A8 machine. But I'm unsure that this fitting for the DC, this really I think is more fitting for the MegaDrive or PC Engine perhaps?

But for anyone who never play Airball before this is a neat little game and after all these years, someone out there, in this case "Clement Corde" for producing the 25th anniversary ending up on the sega DreamCast. Some one should consider doing a compilation of classic Atari ST games for he DC, since this is using the outcast engine to run.

Offline bogstandard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 13:21:07 PM »
Very nice that the Dreamcast SD adapter is getting love from homebrewers.  After all these years I *still* have issues cobbling together a Dreamcast ISO.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 14:25:26 PM »
Now that I have a Dreamcast, I want to give this a spin.  Is there an SD adapter that is better than others or are these things pretty exchangeable? 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline walter_j64bit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 14:18:10 PM »
I love this game! I have on the Atari XE version!