Author Topic: The Great Mystery Of OutRun Europa  (Read 1266 times)

Offline TL

• View Profile
The Great Mystery Of OutRun Europa
« on: June 02, 2014, 20:32:34 PM »
[align=center:1kjqxfif]

[size=140]For years the mystery of why Outrun Europa the game that was released was completely different to the one that was reviewed by Your Sinclair magazine.

To quote Your Sinclair "Your Sinclair reviewed it and said "I said it was fast and it is. The graphics are big and dead colourful as well, this causes a wee bit of colour clash occasionally but nothing too drastic. The sheer size of the buildings and the other stuff at the side of the road is impressive too. And there's such an impressive variety of scenery. It's so exciting, just like going on holiday"

They even gave the game a 83%!![/size]

[size=140]Why was this game different? was it a mock up?

Was this game started from scratch?

Well it look like the mystery has been finally solved by the clever people over at Worldofspectrum, Ralf and Retro Asylums own Swainy.

Swainy pointed out the the way the graphics had been done it looked like the game had colour at one point, then Ralf uncovered that this had been the case and by entering this poke 24905,6 that the game indeed did have colour.

Now as you can see from the screen shots the game looks a lot closer to the screen shots in YS magazine.

The graphics looked like they had been touched up on the speccy mag and then finally dropped from the final version of the game.

Big thanks to Ralf and Swainy for discovering this and who at some point are going to start working on the game and tidy it up a little bit

Check out these videos the guys from Retro Asylum have made!
[/size]
The Great Mystery Of Outrun Europa Has Been Discovered!!!

OutRun Europa: ZX Spectrum colour development - Level 1 nearly complete[/align:1kjqxfif]

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
Re: The Great Mystery Of OutRun Europa
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 15:34:13 PM »
Mystery solved!  Very cool.  :)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline dougtitchmarsh

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
    • http://douglastitchmarsh.com
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 17:32:03 PM »
I've never played the game, but it's interesting to see how these things happen and how people work it all out so many years later. Hopefully I'll get to play it when they "tidy it up"  :113:
My retro and computing blog posts
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, 2600, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, GameGear, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, GBA, GB,  Xbox, 3DO,  WonderSwan,  NGPC, CD32, Amiga A1200, Spectrum 48k and +2, BBC B, C64

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 18:54:34 PM »
I clearly remember the Your Sinclair preview and being really really excited about, then nothing for ages.

Then all of a sudden it gets released looking nothing the version we saw originally!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk