Author Topic: Remembering Kenji Eno  (Read 923 times)

Offline Ben

• View Profile
Remembering Kenji Eno
« on: June 20, 2014, 11:39:37 AM »
I thought it was worth making a thread about this, because when I was looking up the games D and D2 for another thread, I found out that Kenji Eno had passed away about a year ago. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenji_Eno#Death 
Eno died on February 20, 2013, due to heart failure brought on by hypertension. He was 42
  He was both a composer and a developer, and in particular supported Sega's Saturn and Dreamcast consoles with the groundbreaking games D, D2, and Enemy Zero.  His studio, Superwarp (earlier WARP), was also known for supporting the 3DO and producing some famous talent, who would eclipse him in success. 
  Eno formed WARP, Inc. with a small team of programmers and designers including animators Fumito Ueda[7] (Ico and Shadow of the Colossus), Takeshi Nozue (Final Fantasy VII Advent Children) and Ichiro Itano (Macross), all of whom later became famous under different employment.

So I was just curious, was anyone else here a huge fan of his?  If so, what were your favorite games, and what do you feel was revolutionary about them?  For me, the influence of D in particular isn't remembered enough, I'm not sure the survival horror genre would have developed the way it did without his work.

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Remembering Kenji Eno
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 23:12:53 PM »
Yeah I seem to remember talking about this when it happened, but it was a big loss. D on the 3DO was great and I really loved D2 on the Dreamcast.

Offline Ben

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 01:00:20 AM »
I did search, but it was just mentioned in passing in a "News Roundup" thread, I think that's the one you meant (only you and another person responded in regard to the portion about Eno, from what I saw). By the way, since you played the 3DO version, how do you feel it stacked up against the Saturn port?  I know a lot of 3DO games were different (sometimes better) than their PSX/Saturn counterparts, I'm just curious.

Offline Shadowrunner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 04:04:05 AM »
I've only ever played D on the 3DO so unfortunately I can't say how other versions compare. Trip'd is another 3DO game he worked on that I really like. Such a shame he died so young.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 14:04:25 PM »
[align=center:il7c74jv]D (Sega Saturn) Full-Length Walkthrough[/align:il7c74jv]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk