Author Topic: Xbox Classic thread  (Read 11297 times)

Offline WiggyDiggyPoo

• View Profile
Xbox Classic thread
« on: April 22, 2014, 14:24:05 PM »
[/align:30zet8qj]

Released in 2001 (NA) / 2002 (JP/EU) it was Microsoft's first ever console and is definately a console developed by a manufacturer experienced in the PC market - its virtually a keyboard free PC with a lot of custom software for gaming.

MS heavily promoted the console with a celebrity launch and lots of acquisitions of software companies, 2 notables being Rare and Bungie; and it also had some of the best television adverts created for a console - remember the 'life is short' ad - which rivaled anything Sony was putting out.

The Xbox console also included as standard a high speed modem (broadband only) and a hard drive, it also had some crossover elements from the previous generation such as memory cards which are not seen on modern consoles.

Although the console could be considered a success, it never sold in huge numbers in Japan and in all territories was in an almost constant state of catch up to the PS2.

Gamewise it had many exclusive or quasi exclusives which it shared with the PC only, with perhaps its most famous being Halo:Combat Evolved.

Its legacy is it is perhaps best known for its capabilities once modded, which outside the obvious reason of game piracy presented users with the opportunity to create very capable media centres (XBMC started on this) and open the doors to a level of game mods not seen before (or since?) on a home console.

Nice FAQ here: http://www.racketboy.com/retro/microsoft/xbox/xbox-101-a-beginners-guide-to-microsofts-original-console

[align=center:30zet8qj]***************************[/align:30zet8qj]

So, is it retro?

Well I don't want to dwell on this as the main focus, but it needs covering - for me though yes it is is retro.

Its been discontinued by the manufacturer, its online services (official) no longer function and games are no longer released (officially) for the console. So seeing as (some) of its games are also now emulated on its successor the 360 all in I think its retro

[align=center:30zet8qj]***************************[/align:30zet8qj]

:8:

My love for the big black box started in around 2000 when the first rather mental pictures of 'The X Box' as it was known appeared:

[align=center:30zet8qj]

Offline dot.fyre

• View Profile
Re: Xbox Classic thread
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 17:28:40 PM »
In my living room I have the following consoles set up:
360, wii, PS2, Dreamcast and my Xbox.
It's the xbox that is used almost 90% of the time (more often than not using Mame and my two arcade sticks).
When my nephews visit, the first thing they say is "can we play the xbox?"

Outwith the modded capabilities, it's a very good console.
With them, it's one of the best.

Some favourites (not all exclusives)

Call of Cthulhu
Black
Jet Set Radio Future
Crimson Skies
Project Gotham Racing 2
Freestyle Moto X
Oddworld Strangers Wrath
Silent Hill 2
Forza
Burnout 3
Ninja Gaiden

Offline zapiy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 21:53:20 PM »
The Xbox was a modders dream.. I loaded mine with many homebrew programs and games but the most used by a long shot was the awesome XBMC.. This program is still the best for me even though i use it on the PC now.

As for the games

Jet Set Radio Future
Project Gotham Racing 2
Freestyle Moto X
Forza

I will add more as i think of them.. I have over 100 games on this system also.
Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

Offline Bobinator

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 22:07:29 PM »
A long time ago, I actually DID have an XBOX. (I also had a 360, but for various reasons, I've grown to regret it, and I'm looking to sell the thing as soon as possible.)

My experience with the thing was... weird. See, while I got the original Halo YEARS after it came out, so long after I think I picked it up for like $10 or so new, I really didn't like it that much. I just thought it was pretty generic as far as FPSes go, and I always preferred the Timesplitters series, anyway.

What interests me about the XBOX, to be totally honest, are all the exclusives that came out for it that absolutely nobody talks about. Oh, goodness me, where do I start... I guess it'd be best to start with the games I had.

Kung Fu Chaos - super smash bros brawl of xbox

Kung Fu Chaos. Does anybody remember that Devil May Cry reboot from a couple of years back where Dante swears at everybody and everybody's dark and gritty, because it's what the kids like? Yeah, this is the first game from the guys who made that. It's... all right. It's basically Power Stone, with a few Mario Party-style minigames thrown in there. It would be a lot better if it weren't uncomfortably racist, though.

Voodoo Vince XBOX - The Bayou / The Sausage Factory Gameplay

Voodoo Vince. This game was... all right, although it's been an increasingly long time since I've played it. As far as I recall, it's basically a 3D platformer with a focus on puzzles, which, if that's totally your bag, baby, isn't really a bad thing. Sadly, they don't really do as much with the 'voodoo doll' concept as you'd think, and I think as far as it goes is being able to hurt yourself with various wacky animations as a 'smart bomb' attack.

Tao Feng: Jade Dragon vs Geist

Tao Feng: Fist of the Lotus. This one's interesting as it was made by John Tobias, the co-creator of Mortal Kombat. It's a pretty standard 3D fighting game, although there's a couple of little gimmicks to it, like being able to leap off of things to hit your opponent, or being able to break their arms and legs. Which all that really does is make their punches or kicks do less damage. The fighting game community seems to REVILE this game, but I don't really see it. It's no Bloody Roar, sure, but it's not THAT bad.

So yeah, the XBOX was never my favorite system, even when I had one. Beyond Halo, and multi-platform games, most of which never had a huge advantage if you were playing on XBOX besides the occasional online play feature, all you really had were these weird exclusives like this.

...I'd kind of like to buy another one so I can mod it up, though...

Offline WiggyDiggyPoo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 22:11:57 PM »
Quote from: "zapiy"
The Xbox was a modders dream.. I loaded mine with many homebrew programs and games but the most used by a long shot was the awesome XBMC.. This program is still the best for me even though i use it on the PC now.

As for the games

Jet Set Radio Future
Project Gotham Racing 2
Freestyle Moto X
Forza

I will add more as i think of them.. I have over 100 games on this system also.

Its odd for me as given the 100s of hours I put into Forza 2/3/4 I only really played the first one a handful of times, I was more into the Burnout/NFS/Midnight Club series. PGR also was a game I should have been into but wasn't.

Jet Set Radio Future though I didnt play was a game I liked to watch being played as graphically it was gorgeous, the cell shaded style was something I was a big fan of and for the same reason I liked Robotech and XIII though I at least played (and finished!) XIII.

Offline WiggyDiggyPoo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 22:24:46 PM »
Quote from: "Bobinator"

Kung Fu Chaos. Does anybody remember that Devil May Cry reboot from a couple of years back where Dante swears at everybody and everybody's dark and gritty, because it's what the kids like? Yeah, this is the first game from the guys who made that. It's... all right. It's basically Power Stone, with a few Mario Party-style minigames thrown in there. It would be a lot better if it weren't uncomfortably racist, though.

Party game of the year!

KFC and some other 4 player games was what made the Xbox for me and my friends, outside of the obvious FPS there were some awesome multiplayer games including this:

Mashed Fully Loaded was a micro machines alike racer that was a lot of fun, winning depending on either the laps or if you got enough points before the race end - you won! Ultimate bragging rights!

Offline 64bitRuss

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 22:57:39 PM »
I have Steel Battalion for mine, and it's the only reason I keep this beast of a console in my collection.

Offline SnakeEyes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 11:51:08 AM »
Such an underrated machine Looking back. Especially with it coming with a hard drive etc.

It usually has the best versions of games and has some superb exclusives. its easily modified to play all regions and is an amazingly brilliant Emulator machine.  get it setup with a dashboard and with the HDD you can have a really cheap brilliant emulator or mame system

Just some of the console exclusives for that generation.

A superb updated port of Conker, which can be a little too much to buy on N64

Crazy Taxi 3 exclusive
Crimson Skies
Knights of the old republic 1 and 2
Panzer dragoon orta
PGR, Forza, and the 2 amazing Rallisport challenge games
Halo franchise
Jade empire
Gun Valkriye
Toe jam and earl 3
Stubbs the Zombie
Phantom dust
Phantom crash
Star wars republic commando
Otogi 1 and 2
Elder scrolls morrowind

just to name a few.

Hell, just as a Sega fan it is worth picking up due to the Sega output and exclusives on there.

Offline Minerals

• View Profile
    • http://www.soundcloud.com/mineralsuk
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 19:49:48 PM »
Seems weird calling XBox retro, but i guess it is old enough now. Never owned one myself but brought quite a few games to play on my XB360 that were compatible and played on friends machines. Here are some of my faves:

Red Card Soccer - A great fun alternative footy game with very few rules and a fair bit of violence.
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time - Easily the best 3D PoP game made yet and the time mechanic was fantastic.
Panzer Dragoon Orta - A great edition to the series and worthy sequel to the great Saturn games.
Blade II - A great fun beat em up with plenty of nods and elements from the great film.
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 4 - Still the best game in the Tony Hawk series, if only for the swearing British coppers!
WWF Raw - Decent fun wrestling game with a great roster.
Mashed: Fully Loaded - As others have mentioned a great multi-player game top down racing game.
The Warriors - Fantastic adaptation of the classic 70's movie mixing great Beat'em Up elements with an engaging story and probably still my second favourite all time Rockstar game after GTAV.

Offline WiggyDiggyPoo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 12:26:24 PM »
The Warriors is a game I always meant to revisit, it appeared late in the consoles life and like many other late arrivals is oft overlooked. Very faithful to the film and well received critically.

Offline Greyfox

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.atarigamer.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 14:54:56 PM »
ohh man..were do I start?..I have 2 Original Xbox machines, with completely dedicated to Coin-Op v5 with over 5,000 roms stuck on there from Nes to Mame..a massive juke box of classics, my other one then has Atari ST, Amiga pimped out with about 100 Xbox Games..all booting from the HD on this another modding machine, ones that stand out for me

Scarface:the completely under rated GTA rip-off, but only Tony Montana survived this would of made a cracking sequel and a really good game with lots to do, pity it wasn't recognized for it's own originality when it came out.
Family Guy:, what's not to like, it's Family Guy true and true, I have this on the xbox360 aswell, but this is the better version in my opinion and well worth checking out if your a fan of Family Guy.
Otogi: Myth of Demons: Xbox's Answer to Onimusha series, but this completely 3D, no rendered backgrounds and plays very well, but it is quite wacky also and it spawned a Sequel
Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors: Continuing from where the first one left off, this is even more tighter in both the visuals and gameplay making this a must have for all xbox users.
Gunvalkyrie: Again another one off hit, that deserves a reawakening, this 3rd person shooter kicked ass with the best of them and to top it off, was done by Sega, which seemed couldn't put a foot wrong when it came to Xbox, An exceptional game
Phantom Dust: This is were I begin to get highly pissed off that this one didn't make it to a sequel, what a game, completely under-rated on every level and one that you mush play before you die, this was one of those games that made it worth having an xbox for, pure brilliant, there was a rumor late last year that this was to get the xbox360/PS3 treatment, but have heard nothing since :(.
Breakdown:Another classic, this time from Namco, First person, and not unlike Mirror's Edge which showed up many years later, this got rave reviews and rightly so, it's an Xbox exclusive and a mud pie in the face of PS2 fans, a fantastic game.

this all I can account for at the moment, but I know there are many more great xbox titles, likes of Buffy and Riddick, both great and exclusive titles, makes the Original Xbox well deserving of being apart of gaming fan or collectors collection, Highly recommend it and with it been available for buttons with a mod, this makes it even more worth having.

Offline WiggyDiggyPoo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 18:37:33 PM »
Scarface is I agree astounding, I was playing this until the day I got my 360.

Gunvalkaryie I think is a lost classic, ashamed I haven't played it :(

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 18:41:31 PM »
I have the Wii version of Scarface, it's excellent.

Offline WiggyDiggyPoo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 19:03:00 PM »
Have you tried swimming out to sea, if you haven't I won't spoil it lol

Offline onthinice

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 01:30:21 AM »
Xbox is King or at least it was good enough for Burger King to support the system with 3 games. :113:

I am a big Star Wars fan so Star Wars Jedi Academy was a must for me track down. The Warriors is on my top ten. A kid game but my kids had me hooked on Shrek 2.