Atarowg - New Atari 2600 Homebrew

Started by TL, April 12, 2014, 17:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

[align=center:192zfz7k][size=140]This is a simple Rogue-like made in less than 7 days for the 7 Days Rogue Like (7DRL) Challenge. The game was created by Atari Age member the loon and originally used ASCII style graphics like the original Rogue game but as the project progressed a more modern look was adopted. It has been released for free to use with real hardware via a flash cartridge or an emulator.[/size]

[size=140]Our brave Knight must delve the dungeon depths to retrieve the Eye of Gingrich and bring it back to the castle!  Treasure chests contain various items (or nothing).  If you find a healing scroll press FIRE to activate it.  Weapons and armor are automatically equipped and used.  The Eye is hidden in treasure chests below the fifth floor of the dungeon.  Once retrieved the Knight must find staircases that lead back up and get back to the first floor!  If the Knight gets hit too many times by either the monster or traps he expires and is transported to the nether regions.  The nether region has exits that warp our Knight back to the 7th floor.  Use the reset switch to restart the game.[/size]

[size=140]Features:

* There are one-way exits! *

* Objects disappear after the room has been exited. *

* If you feel the maze has closed in on you, wait a while.... *[/size]

[size=140]You can read more about the game over in the dedicated thread on Atari Age or to see more entries in the competition head over to the 7DRL website. You can also watch a video of the game in action below![/size]

[size=240]DOWNLOAD HERE![/size]

Atarowg (Atari 2600) -- 7DRL COMPLETE[/align:192zfz7k]

TrekMD

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

Quote from: "zapiy"Looks great, thoughts Trek?

Haven't had much of a chance to give it a good try yet.  :(

bogstandard

Thanks for posting on this one!

Yep.  7 days is not alot of time.  I focused on getting procedural dungeons in instead of a full d&d style RPG experience.

I think Adventure Creator sprites work better than ASCII art as well.  The treasure chests, player and monster all were derived after careful study of Apple II A.C. screenshots.

I regret making a small play-through video while doing other work.  It slowed down the video capture to the point that it looks bogged down.  Ah well, live and learn :)

P.S.  The ring does nothing.  I was going to make it randomly warp the player but ran out of time.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

TrekMD

Welcome to RVG, theloon!  I haven't had much of a chance to play the game yet.  Since you're asking for feedback, are you planning to further develop the game?

bogstandard

I've started talking with the Cowlitz Gamers for Kids people to donate an enhanced version for a future expo.
http://www.cowlitzgamers.moonfruit.com/

Could offer up a different game or an entirely new game depending on feedback.

TrekMD

Quote from: "theloon"I've started talking with the Cowlitz Gamers for Kids people to donate an enhanced version for a future expo.
http://www.cowlitzgamers.moonfruit.com/

Could offer up a different game or an entirely new game depending on feedback.

Very cool. 

bogstandard

Wow.  He even deleted the images of my game from his photobucket account.  sigh.

Here are two pictures as a substitute:

zapiy

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC