Floppy Bird - New Atari XL/XE/5200 Homebrew!

Started by TL, March 05, 2014, 15:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

[align=center:3c6g00t4]

[size=140]German developer Frederik Holst has surprised us all with a version of Flappy Bird for the Atari 8-bit computers. There have been a number of homebrew versions of the addictive mobile game now but this version is a bit different because it uses just 1k of memory! This is a real achievement but also shows just how bloated many new games are.[/size]

[size=140]Holst was encouraged to make this A8 conversion after learning about Flappo Bird, a port of the same game for the Atari 2600 console. He started it around mid-February and it took him about 20 hours to code in 100% assembler language. He has released the game for free to play on real hardware via a flash device or your favourite emulator![/size]

[size=240]DOWNLOAD HERE![/size]

Floppy Bird - Atari XL/XE[/align:3c6g00t4]

TrekMD

Oh boy, another Flappy Bird clone!  To think the original game was taken off the Play Store because of the overwhelming response!  I wonder what the original author would think of seeing all these clones even on retro consoles.  :)

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Sokurah

Quote from: "TrekMD"Oh boy, another Flappy /Bird clone!  I wonder what the original author would think of seeing all these clones even on retro consoles.  :)

One thing is for certain though - it's already been going on for too long now. More than 800 flappy games? ...I tired of them a LONG time ago (although a few very good ones has appeared - like the Vectrex one and the 'Another World' themed one). But please...for.the.love.of.God - STOP making them now.
Website: Tardis remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
Twitter: Sokurah

TrekMD

Quote from: "Sokurah"But please...for.the.love.of.God - STOP making them now.

I get the sense you are getting a bit tired of these.  ;)

TL

Floppy Bird has now been ported to the ATARI 5200, you can find the ROM-File HERE! It is obviously larger than 1k now!

He also added "stages" to both versions, so the columns get closer the more you progress, ending up in a cavern-like sequence. HERE is the new Atari XL/XE version!

Greyfox

Have to say, it's a gas game, we should run a competition on a high-score challenge on this one..as its as tuff as nails like the android original.

64bitRuss

That's at least on par with most of the Jaguar homebrews I've seen, ESPECIALLY that reboot garbage.

guest5217

Hi everyone,
in order to reduce security holes on my server, I am going to deactivate my ftp server in the near future. However all content will remain accessible on my website with the same URL, i.e. only change ftp:// to http://

http://frederik.hol.st/atari/8-bit/mystuff

Cheers,

F.

zapiy

Nice one fella, great work on the game and thanks for letting us know about the server changes.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

guest5217

TrekMD

guest5217

...any chance someone could update the link in the very first post? It still points to the ftp-server, and I'm afraid once it's gone people will keep posting here?

TL

Quote from: "freetz"...any chance someone could update the link in the very first post? It still points to the ftp-server, and I'm afraid once it's gone people will keep posting here?

I will fix it now! Top work!

guest5217