Author Topic: Let's Compare River Raid!  (Read 5215 times)

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira
Let's Compare River Raid!
« on: February 23, 2014, 16:34:34 PM »
So, instead of an arcade game, let's look at a game that was never in the arcades, River Raid!  For those unfamiliar with the game, from Wikipedia:

[font=georgia:2rb2nlq1]River Raid is a scrolling shooter video game designed and developed by Carol Shaw, and published by Activision in 1982 for the Atari 2600 video game console. Activision later ported the title to the Atari 5200, ColecoVision, and Intellivision game consoles, as well as to the Commodore 64, IBM PCjr, MSX, ZX Spectrum, and Atari 8-bit family home computers.

Activision published River Raid II in 1988. This sequel, programmed by David Lubar, has similar gameplay, but with a different landscape and increased difficulty.

The Atari 2600 version of River Raid was republished via Microsoft's Game Room service in May 2010; River Raid II followed in June 2010.[/font:2rb2nlq1]

[align=center:2rb2nlq1]Let's Compare ( River Raid )[/align:2rb2nlq1]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Offline TL

• View Profile
Re: Let's Compare River Raid!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 18:43:46 PM »
I love River Raid it's such a classic game!

I have never seen the MSX version before, that looks great! Definitely the best out of the 8-bit versions.

The Spectrum version is pretty pathetic, I remember playing it many years ago and being disappointed how it compared to the 2600 original.

The A8 version is very good, I played it for the first time a few weeks ago.

Never seen that PC re-make before, nicely done but lacks the appeal of the original game.

It's a real shame that River Raid 3 for the Jaguar never came out  :20:

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 19:18:15 PM »
River Raid is really a great game.  I was also surprised to see that new Windows version of the game.  I had no idea that existed!  At least it does remain true to the original game.  Was Carol involved in the development of the Jaguar version?

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 19:37:21 PM »
Quote from: "TrekMD"
River Raid is really a great game.  I was also surprised to see that new Windows version of the game.  I had no idea that existed!  At least it does remain true to the original game.  Was Carol involved in the development of the Jaguar version?

No I don't believe so, I have some info on it somewhere - I will hunt it out.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 19:45:37 PM »
Cool.  I'd be curious to know.  I wonder if it was someone we may be able to interview about the project.

Offline onthinice

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 15:44:12 PM »
A fun game and a success to what Activision could do with better systems. The 2600 was my favorite till I played it on the 5200. Still hope to get it for the Intellivision some day.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 15:51:15 PM »
Quote from: "onthinice"
A fun game and a success to what Activision could do with better systems. The 2600 was my favorite till I played it on the 5200. Still hope to get it for the Intellivision some day.

The Intellivision port is excellent!  Check out my review here:  http://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/index.php?page=intvopqr

Offline rickreynolds

• View Profile
    • http://www.rickandviv.net
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 14:16:37 PM »
Quote from: "The Laird"
I have never seen the MSX version before, that looks great! Definitely the best out of the 8-bit versions.

I might agree if you're putting the Intellivision in the 16-bit category.  I think the terrain on either side of the river just looks better on that port.  And I know, I'm biased...  :)

Offline Cryptic33

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 15:16:48 PM »
Well, for me having played the 2600, XL/XE and Windows versions I can say that from that footage, I was also not impressed with the specy version. The 5200 looked a lot like the XL/XE. C64 was also disappointing. The MSX and Colecovision versions looked very playable but not quite the mustard and Intellivision was awful. The Windows version is style over substance, playable but you get bored after a short while.

In conclusion and as much as I love what you all call the A8 versions, I am lovingly drawn back to the 2600 version as my favourite. On that system, this was a truly incredible game and when I did the markets buying and selling 2600 stuff, this game was always snapped up. When you get up around level 100 it gets very tough but still great fun!

It is very hard to explain to people but this game alone is worth buying an Atari 2600 VCS. Get yer mates round for a few beers and see how bad half of them are :24:
For the record, Alien verses Predator on the Atari Jaguar holds a Guinness World Record!

To remove any awkwardness, I have mesothelioma. I don’t seek sympathy, just acceptance. Thanks

Offline onthinice

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 15:40:00 PM »
Can't argue with those points.

No matter what system it is played on, it is good to see fans still enjoying the game.

Offline TrekMD

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 15:43:12 PM »
I can't agree with you on the assessment of the Intellivision version.  Why do you think it is awful? 

Offline rickreynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 16:18:06 PM »
Quote from: "TrekMD"
I can't agree with you on the assessment of the Intellivision version.  Why do you think it is awful?

I agree.  The Intellivision version is very playable and I think it looks graphically better than several of the other systems shown.  What problems do you see in it to label it awful?

Offline onthinice

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 16:27:57 PM »
Speaking for myself, it is a great title on the Intellivision but better versions are out there. My feeing is to be a true gamer and get the most out of a game you can't limit yourself to the loyalty of a system. Not sure I would use awful but given the choice would choose the game on an advanced system. Still as a collector it would be a nice addition to the Intellivision library.

Offline rickreynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 16:35:27 PM »
Quote from: "onthinice"
My feeing is to be a true gamer and get the most out of a game you can't limit yourself to the loyalty of a system.

That's certainly fine, but I think I'm a bit different in my gaming preferences.  I like games on the Intellivision, and it is the only retro-system I've put much effort into collecting for, emulating, etc.  So yes, I haven't played all of the River Raid that I could, but that's not really the kind of completionist experience I'm going for.  But I think it's fair to say I've "played River Raid" as the Intellivision version is a decent version of the game.

I'd argue that the original Intellivision version of Donkey Kong is complete rubbish and you can't say you've "played Donkey Kong" if you are limiting yourself to that port.  So it varies a bit.

I consider myself a retro gamer, but I don't usually describe myself as a "gamer" per se, because that usually implies a wider experience of playing video games than I've had.

Offline onthinice

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 16:59:52 PM »
You are spot on. My statement was broad and should have added that for me as a gamer, I have to play all versions to pick the best.  The word gamer is a broad statement as well. Did not mean to imply that someone is not a gamer by playing one version or system/handheld over the other. We each have to be happy with our gaming choices. That is what makes this site great. Different points of view.

I can't fault you for liking the Intellivision. It is a great system to collect and play. First system that I ever played BurgerTime on back in the early 1980's and prefer it over newer versions. As well, I like Donkey Kong on the Intellivision and enjoy playing it. Same for Intellivision Stampede and Pac-Man. Both great versions and I like them better the 2600.

Look forward to you sharing your thoughts about the Intellivision.