The Casio PV-1000

Started by TL, February 21, 2014, 20:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TL

[align=center:i9psg0xj][/align:i9psg0xj]

The PV-1000 was a video game console manufactured by Casio and released in Japan in 1983. The PV-1000 was powered by a Z80A micro-processor, and had only 2 KB RAM available, with 1 KB devoted to its character generator. It had a 256x192 pixel resolution and had 8 available colours. It was released alongside a computer known as the PV-2000, which is compatible with PV-1000 controllers but not games. In the same year Casio released two other consoles, the PV-7 and the PV-16 which were MSX computers. The PV-1000 initially sold for 14,800¥.

Casio failed to achieve a significant market share. It is said to have been pulled from the shelves within a matter of weeks, making the system extremely rare.

Only 15 games for the Casio PV-1000 were released:

• Amidar
  • Dig-Dug
  • Dirty Chameleon
  • Excite Mahjong
  • Fighting Bug
  • Naughty Boy
  • Pachinko UFO
  • Pooyan
  • Space Panic
  • Super Cobra
  • Turpin
  • Tutankham
  • Warp & Warp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PV-1000

[align=center:i9psg0xj]HFS Casio PV-1000[/align:i9psg0xj]

Carlos

was this compatible with the Loopy?

TL

Quote from: "Carl"was this compatible with the Loopy?

No different system, we do have a thread about the Casio Loopy though.

Carlos

Quote from: "The Laird"
Quote from: "Carl"was this compatible with the Loopy?

No different system, we do have a thread about the Casio Loopy though.

Releasing loads of products in a short amount of time is not exclusive to sega and Nintendo then.  :15:

TrekMD

For a system with just 15 games, it did get some good ones.  I have to say that I like the design of the console.  Simple aesthetic but nice.

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"For a system with just 15 games, it did get some good ones.  I have to say that I like the design of the console.  Simple aesthetic but nice.

Yes, it got a lot of arcade ports for such a small library, they look pretty decent too:

[align=center:1rhcqyr6]Casio PV-1000 Gameplay - Pooyan

Casio PV-1000 Gameplay - Amidar

Casio PV-1000 Gameplay - Super Cobra[/align:1rhcqyr6]

TrekMD

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

zapiy

Awesome, can these be found cheap?

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TL

Quote from: "zapiy"Awesome, can these be found cheap?

I very much doubt it, I would imagine they are super rare!

TL

[align=center:mhej81m6]There was a computer version of this console too called the PV-2000 it seems:

CASIO PV-2000 ギャラガ

CASIO PV-2000 スーパーコブラ

CASIO PV-2000 フロントライン[/align:mhej81m6]