Attack of the Clones: Tetris

Started by TrekMD, February 14, 2014, 03:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrekMD

Tetris is a great puzzle game that not only has been ported to a great many systems but one that has inspired many similar games on various systems.  So, how many are there?  I'll start by posting a clone on the NES made by Sivak Games called Mystic Pillars. 

[align=center:2ph8a0ld]Mystic Pillars - NES Gameplay[/align:2ph8a0ld]

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

TL

[align=center:2q2ofcmb][size=240]Atari XL/XE[/size]

Atalan Tetris - By Rudla Kudla

Atris - By Sawfish Software

Blockaboo - By Aussemware

Dredis - By KE Soft

Geo - By Raindorf Soft

Getris - By Mad Team

Hot Blocks - By New Atari User

Klocki - By Tajemnice Atari

Lunacy - By Mark J. Visser

Multris - By Raster

Red Squares - By Antic

Tetricize - By Knoxville AUG

Tetris - By Richard Carter

Tetris - By Fanatic Star Software

Tetris - By RadoSoft

Tetris - By UTX

Tetris - By David Mason

The Thinking Man's Video Game - By Douglas Skrecky

Tigris - By R & E Software

Tretis - By Prehistoric Software

Ultra Tetris - IPC Software

Vioris - By Orion

Warsaw Tetris - By Gizmo Magic[/align:2q2ofcmb]

TrekMD

It would appear that the Atari XL/XE had just a "few" clones of the game for owners to enjoy.  ;)

TL

Quote from: "TrekMD"It would appear that the Atari XL/XE had just a "few" clones of the game for owners to enjoy.  ;)

I think you will struggle to find a system with more!

I think it is probably because the machine was so big in Eastern Europe.

guest4787

More, you say?

I haven't included the official version, the 3-D games or the numerous adult-themed Tetris clones.  There are enough Speccy games to be getting on with there, I think.

TL

I have to admit that I thought the Speccy would probably give the A8 a run for its money!  :21:

I didn't include variations, 3D versions or official versions either.

TrekMD

The clones attacked big time on the Spectrum!   :21:

TL

onthinice

I still have never played Tetris. Seeing these Jaguar games makes want to try it on that system. It is all Sega's fault for releasing Columns on the Mega Drive/Genesis. Such a fun puzzle game that I have never wanted to play another till now.

TL

Quote from: "onthinice"I still have never played Tetris. Seeing these Jaguar games makes want to try it on that system. It is all Sega's fault for releasing Columns on the Mega Drive/Genesis. Such a fun puzzle game that I have never wanted to play another till now.

:13: :13: :13:

You must be the only gamer on this planet who has never played it!

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "The Laird"
Quote from: "onthinice"I still have never played Tetris. Seeing these Jaguar games makes want to try it on that system. It is all Sega's fault for releasing Columns on the Mega Drive/Genesis. Such a fun puzzle game that I have never wanted to play another till now.

:13: :13: :13:

You must be the only gamer on this planet who has never played it!

Wow, that is just unheard of! You really need to get a copy and play it!

TrekMD

It is hard to imagine that a person into games as you has not played Tetris.  It is available for so many systems and there are so  many clones it is hard to miss.  You can even play it on a smartphone!  Heck, even using a browser:  http://www.freetetris.org/  ;)  It's not as nice as the console versions but you get the gist of the game.  And since you mentioned Columns...

[align=center:3vpmvl05]Columns: Arcade Mode (Sega Genesis)[/align:3vpmvl05]

And how can I leave out this rather unique clone of Tetris on the Atari Lynx...

[align=center:3vpmvl05]Atari Lynx - Lexis[/align:3vpmvl05]

onthinice

Quote from: "Shadowrunner"
Quote from: "The Laird"

:13: :13: :)

TL

To be honest it really annoys me when people call Columns a Tetris clone, or any other block dropping puzzle game for that matter. They are different games to play and, although they have a similar play mechanic, have enough variation to make them original in my mind.

onthinice

I understand. Clone gets used to easily.  Feel the same way about maze games. All to often a maze game will be called a Pac-Man clone.