Commodore
0 (0%)
Microsoft
0 (0%)
Other?
1 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: March 28, 2013, 18:26:04 PM

Author Topic: Who is your favourite console manufacturer?  (Read 3962 times)

Offline nakamura

• View Profile
Re: Who is your favourite console manufacturer?
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2013, 22:17:29 PM »
I didn't post a quote at all. I simply repeated what The Laird told me in conversation.
It may well  be that the Jaguar version has the nicest visuals etc. But if you cannot strafe and turn then it isn't the best version. Any Doom fan will tell you that.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2013, 22:20:50 PM »
Quote from: "nakamura"
I didn't post a quote at all. I simply repeated what The Laird told me in conversation.
It may well  be that the Jaguar version has the nicest visuals etc. But if you cannot strafe and turn then it isn't the best version. Any Doom fan will tell you that.

Yep.

There is an interview with Carmack where he says the Jag version is the best one in his opinion.

Has nothing to do with this topic anyway, this is about your favourite console manufacturer so lets not go off topic further. There are several Doom threads if we want to discuss that game.

Offline nakamura

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2013, 22:23:04 PM »
Absolutely. And he is certainly allowed to have any opinion he wants. I just used the example of why I take even developers opinions with a pinch of salt.  :1:

Back on topic.... well already answered that!

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2013, 11:37:09 AM »
Quote from: "The Laird"

Yep.

There is an interview with Carmack where he says the Jag version is the best one in his opinion.

Has nothing to do with this topic anyway, this is about your favourite console manufacturer so lets not go off topic further. There are several Doom threads if we want to discuss that game.

Cheers Laird, coders will always have prefered platforms to code on and versions they are most proud of, for any number of reasons, but for myself, they remain the best source of really knowing what a system was capable of, not the P.R people or magazine/website reviewers.

One reason i love the making of...features in things like RG/EDGE/Gamestm etc over the years and the chance to put questions to developers on here, is i love to know why a game turned out so great or so badly on 1 platform, yet fared so better or worse on others.

Seen too many posts on sites over the years that game X looks shit on platform Y, ergo platform Y sucks, yet game X was knocked up in 6 weeks with coder just told to port and be done or it was a port from a far more powerful system and should'nt really have been attempted.

IF someones going to say a game looks or plays really poorly,it would help if they explained why and espically if it's Retro, look at just what else was around at the time and see if there were better 3D engines on similar specced machines at the time.Reading a lot of the comments left on Youtube etc where 3DO/Jaguar/SNES SFX 3D games are being shown and it's clear folks have no idea of just how much was being done with hardware at the time and to dismiss it with a simple 'That looks shit', is poor as is, but when i've seen it on forums, i just eye roll, as no scope for discussion.

Saturn/Jaguar/MCD/3DO etc are decent enough machines in their own rights, it's just the people behind them made some fundemental errors and the market was rapidly changing at the time.

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2013, 11:38:37 AM »
Did you look at those 2 links RT?

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2013, 12:08:14 PM »
Quote from: "The Laird"
Did you look at those 2 links RT?

sorry Laird, i did reply to this in my original message, but that never got posted, anywho, yep, the DOOM one echoed a lot of what was said in the EDGE article, wish more people would learn to accept that there was a lot about the Jaguar hardware that coders loved.

Offline sloan

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2013, 02:20:58 AM »
Nintendo edges Atari out by a narrow margin for me.

5200 is king, but NES and SNES have too many good games to ignore.

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2013, 13:11:18 PM »
I'm sure he does. I just don't take anything from EA seriously. They are a cancer on gaming and will cuddle up to whoever will make them the most money. They always have been.

Made some great games mind.

Only fair to bring this point up:Desert Strike was pitched to E.A producers, they hated hated the choice of a 3rd person control schemes, so in order to get approval, game designers had to put in the from above system, despite it being hated by folks making the game.

Also Soviet strike started out on 3DO, but was switched to Playstation, pity 3DO version never happened, would have been another shot in the arm for the system.

Offline onthinice

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2013, 22:45:57 PM »
That is interesting about Soviet Strike for the 3DO! I'm not real good with the Playstation version. I prefer the open end game play of the 16-bit era.

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2013, 22:54:17 PM »
Quote from: "onthinice"
That is interesting about Soviet Strike for the 3DO! I'm not real good with the Playstation version. I prefer the open end game play of the 16-bit era.

:-) Glad someone likes my triva.Been clearing out a lot of cupboards over past few days, re-reading some old games mags, hence lot of thread bumps.

Urban strike fell a little flat on MD, Soviet was'nt bad on PSone, but i much prefered Nuclear.

Crying shame the 3DO version never made it....

Sounds like developers knew by time it was finished 3DO would be (commercially) dead in the water, so it was switched to PSone instead.

Offline onthinice

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2013, 22:57:59 PM »
I have been enjoying the magazine reviews. Thanks for sharing them Rogue Trooper!

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2013, 20:27:02 PM »
Looks like Sega take the spoils here . . .