Atari 2600 Receives an Endless Runner in JumpVCS

Started by triverse, November 21, 2013, 01:26:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

triverse

[align=center:1e0zttym][/align:1e0zttym]

[align=center:1e0zttym][size=140]Endless running games. They are abundant in the mobile market, not so much on consoles, certainly not on the Atari 2600. JumpVCS is available now and is quite cool looking, there is parallax scrolling in this minimalist running game.

You can find out more about the game over at the Retro Gaming Magazine website right
HERE![/size][/align:1e0zttym]

[align=center:1e0zttym][/align:1e0zttym]

TrekMD

I saw this and I must say that I really like it!  Given the limitations of the 2600, this game does look fantastic.  Here is a video of the game in action!  There is a sign up to be notified when the game gets released as a cart.  You can go here: http://www.retro-reload.com/jumpvcs/

[align=center:15md2efw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1WNNTtHSX8#t=0[/align:15md2efw]

Of course, that won't be the music on the game but I'm curious to see what sort of music and/or sound effects are developed for the game. 

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

triverse

You would think that endless running games would be perfect for the Atari 2600 era systems.  You only need the four directions provided by the joystick and one action button to do whatever (if you assign jump to the "up" motion on the controller the button can do something else).

The levels could be randomly generated too, saving on space in memory.

JumpVCS is interesting since it is the first to do this on the limited hardware.

TrekMD

Yes, not very complex in terms of gameplay but addicting.  It'll be interesting to see what the final version of this looks like.

TL

Surprised it's taken them this long to do a game like this to be honest!

triverse

Quote from: "The Laird"Surprised it's taken them this long to do a game like this to be honest!

I agree.  This just seems like a natural fit for such limited, by today's standards, hardware.  If you take it loosely, we did see the birth of 3D endless running games with Night Driver on the Atari 2600.  Who knows what we might have gotten had the market not fallen through in 83/84.

zapiy

Yeah this games seems made for the older systems.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

TrekMD

I registered to be notified when it is released as a cart.  :)

TrekMD

Minerals

Great idea and suits the one button joystick well, kinda like Canabalt VCS  :111:

TrekMD

Quote from: "Minerals"Great idea and suits the one button joystick well, kinda like Canabalt VCS  :)

onthinice

Like!!!! Wish that was the music to be included, fits the game well.

TrekMD

The binary for this game has been released:  JumpVCS @ Retro-Reload.  There are plans for a cart release as well.